1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Replace Rem 1100 piston assy for heck of it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

All three of my Remington 1100 trap guns are over 30 years old, and as far as I know, they all have their original piston assemblies. Should I replace these parts with new ones, or do the piston assemblies just 'not wear out'? Thanks for any advice.

Porcupine

2. Jim H.

Jim H. TS Member

I only recall seeing one piston failure. A small piece broke out of a ring. Once that piece was dropped out of the gun, it would still cycle, and the shooter completed the (international skeet) match. He missed the first target he shot at after getting the 1100 running again, so it mattered.

Different 1100 subject:
    An 1100 with a broken extractor would still push the hull back far enough on firing to remove the empty, and worked for singles. A little surprising. I suppose some oversized handload or other ammo unfired could be a problem to just unload as it might not drop out when the muzzle is lifted. That might be embaressing at a cease fire.

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Just keep a spare set in your range bag and you will never need them! LOL Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.