1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Replace BT99 Hinge Pin

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BuddyR, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

How difficult is replacing the hinge pin on a 2002 BT99?

Bud

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Why does it need replacing. Having seen most of the beat up, old BT-99's out there, none have ever needed to have a new joint roll/hinge pin.

If the action is loose, it probably needs the locking bolt rebuilt or replaced and the forend lug welded and the forend assy refit.

Doug

3. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

I'm not sure what is worn, but you can hold the wrist of the stock with the barrle hanging down and feel movement by swing it side to side slightly. I'm sure it will have to go tpo the gunsmith. Bud

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Buddy. The problem is that the bbl lug has worn the thin metal of the forend iron. You have to grease that lug before assembly. The looseeness is created because of thelack of tighness from these two parts. And Doug's fix of bbl lug weld is all you can do now.

[​IMG]

Doug's fix will add metal to the back of this lug. But the problem is the forend iron is thin and assmebly witout a lubricant is what wears the thin metal. Adn once that is gone, the weld is all that can be done. The weld goes on the back of this lug.

[​IMG]

A quick fix fo rthe moment is to get a tub of wheel bearing grease and lube the places that are pivot points and the gun will prob tighten up enough to use.

5. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

Thank you for the help...... Bud

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Bud,

You have a P/M.

Jon Reitz

7. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

Thanks everyone

Bud

8. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I was wondering, since this gun was made in 2002 and is in this condition, what is the approx. number of rounds through it?

It seems early, to me, in a gun that is just barely 8 years old, assuming it was maintained and lubricated properly.

The reason for my interest is that I have a 2007 manufacture BT-99 that has had issues in less than 7,000 rounds.

My gun is still tight but in under 7,000 rounds the lever went to center and the sear became sufficiently worn to take the trigger pull from 4 pounds to 28 oz.'s.

I have some concerns that at least a percentage the post 2000 BT's are having issues that the 1970's and 80's guns didn't have until a much higher round count.

9. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

I got this BT in early 2007 used. I have no idea how much it's been shot. I shoot about 200 rounds, eight rounds of trap, per week. It has always been very smoothe opening and closing. Recently there's movement in the hinge area with it closed. There has been two screws break in the forearm bracket while I owned it. It seems early to me too.
    Bud

10. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

In 2008, I saw one at s shoot that was part of a display a Browning rep. had brought to the event.

Unlike most, especially when they are new, this one dropped open like a Ruger o/u; I thought this was unusual because it looked like it had not been fired very much.

The barrel seemed to have a small amount of play in it when open. LOck up wasn't a problem, though, the lever was well to the right, as mine was when I first got it.

I can't say why the gun I examined was like that.

At the time, I theorized that since it was a display gun it could have been due to things like; abuse, parts swapped out, loose fore end scres.....etc.

Other; I have read a few reports of fore end screws failing, mine has been good in that regard (at least there's a few things OK on mine).

I know a gent with a BT-99 he bought in the first couple years they were out.
    He is not a real high volume shooter but even 3,000 rounds/year for 35+ years adds up; the lever on his is to the right and everything is tight, he has not had to have anything done to it.

This is my first BT even though I have been shooting for 40 years, I was hoping to have a gun that lived up to the track record of the BT's I have seen in use since their introduction, so this has been a dissappointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning hinge bt-99

bt99 loose lockup