1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacating the factory powder on fed. paper

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Anyone know the powder Federal uses for the gold medal paper loads? I'd like to come as close as possible to a simular reload. 1 1/8th, shot load. Thanks, Jim

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Try Red Dot

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Alf, will do. Using a jug of green dot up right now. Went through an 8pd'r of promo. Not asking for any powder measures . Just wanted to know what the guys at Federal are using. Jim

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Federal uses one of the commercial-grade Dots.

18 & 19gn of RED (or 19 & 21gn of GREEN) and a 12C1 Wad (Precision Reloading has some, still) will duplicate a 2¾dr and 3dr 1-1/8oz load ... down to the smell, too, of course.

Bob

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Alf: I've been using Promo and WST, and their 12C1 wad with gret success. I only reload once fired once.

Whiz

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

But whiz the smell of Red Dot and Fed paper hulls is like a fine perfume to me. Only thing I load in fed papers. Everything else is Solo 1000.

Rock

Jim

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

I cut open a new 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz federal paper (please forgive my sin) to see what was in there.

I found a 12 S3 wad and powder with green dots in it.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Federal uses an OEM version of Red Dot in their paper cases. Remington also uses a lot of the same type of powder.

Pat Ireland

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Some times the old stuff is the best . Red Dot is (was) dirty also Green Dot but It works very well . A load of Green Dot up around 10500 psi is no more dirty them most other powders . You can not load Red Dot or Green Dot down (9000 psi) or it will get dirty fast .

You will never match the powders used to load any factory shell .

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was told by a Federal Rep. that the powders in the premium shells are blended for velocity, so to try and duplicate them would be next to impossible ... Close but no cigar, mind games ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ALF-99, you shouldn't give away such secrets. :) Hap

12. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'm loading 20 1/2 grs of green dot into a Federal paper hull now. And there's no way that load is leaving the barrel at 1330fps. Maybe 1200fps. Factory loads must be something hotter than green dot. My shoulder can tell the difference. Jim

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

As I recall there was a post from the Remington rep a while back stating they used custom blend powder for a specific burn rate. He also stated it was not for sale to the public. He went on to say that for performance best matching factory, "Red Dot" was the powder to choose. I'm sure someone here knows the exact post. The Federal folks at the Grand made a similar statement and added they only make one run a year of the "Papers". Jake

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Shortly after I first started shooting, a friend of mine and me were discussing this very thing.

Ill bet there isnt 15 grains of powder in a new Fed. Paper, he said.

So we cut one open.

Just shy of 22 grains at that time (1975). Also, looked like Red Dot but with that amount Im sure it was blended. Red Base wad.

Havent cut one since.

Regards....Gerald

15. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

At a State Shoot years ago I asked a Federal Rep what powder they loaded in papers and his reply was "whatever we can get".

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

bridgetoofar- The Federal rep was pulling your leg. I can assure you that Federal only uses Alliant powders. Alliant owns Federal.

Shell manufacturers are correct in stating that the powder is custom blended but they don't explain what this means. Powder manufacturing is tricky. Not every batch comes our the same. The major variable is the ground up trees used to make powder. When Alliant tries to make a batch of Red Dot and it does not come out exactly right, it is speeded up or slowed down to get within specifications and sold as OEM powder to the manufacturers. A shell manufacturer has to increase/decrease the grains of powder for each lot they receive. We have to do the same thing with Promo powder. The batches of Red Dot that come out exactly right are sold to us as Red Dot.

Pat Ireland

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

20.5 Grains Promo, Federal 209A primer, 12S3 or 12C1 1 1/8th oz 7 1/2s
    or 20.5 Grs Red Dot

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.