1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Repairs to leg of mutton case?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybrdr, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

This case has sentimental value since it belonged to my Grandfather. Problem is that the straps, etc have deteriorated to where they are basically falling apart.

Is there anyone who could replace the straps to where it looks somewhat original? Could always take it to a shoe repair guy but there may be a better option.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Any identifying marks who might have been the original manufacturer? For some reason, the embossing looks familiar... possibly manufactured by Gokey Leather...

Contact Gokey (or Orvis) and inquire if it's one of theirs... send a couple representative digital pics... other options could include contacting one the purveyors of quality leather luggage cases to see about having the case repaired...

Wont be inexpensive, but then it is GrandDad's...

Jay

3. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Back when I was a kid I always had my ball glove and other leather stuff repaired by the local shoe repair guy who was my friend's grandfather. Alas, outside of large cities these craftsmen have all but disappeared.

The link above is to a leather worker forum. Post your pics there and someone will offer their services or point you in the right direction.

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Go to Hueycases.com.Marvin's business is building/restoring quality cases and he's really good.

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Contact Marvin Huey at hueycases.com.He builds and repairs quality cases.
    He restored and outfitted an old oak&leather Woodward case of mine-outstanding job.

6. claybrdr

Thanks for the responses.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Look in your area for a leather shop or a horse takle shop that does leather work. One of them might be able to help you and or tell you who can.

8. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

It has been almost 2 years since I had the opportunity to highly recommend Kevin McCormick from Virginia. kkevinmac@aol.com 703-402-5712

He repaired a 1909 2 barrel leg of mutton case for my elsie that was in much worse shape than either of those pictured.

Mine needed the bottom restiched (was eated by a mouse) a new strap, hinge and handle and 2 bibs added to the slots for the barrel.

All this was done promptly at an extremely reasonable price.

Get a camera, take the case outside and send hime some detailed pics of the needed repairs for an accurate quote.

I doubt you will be disappointed.

Dan

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Frank, the best way to get rid of musty smell (or years of cigar/pipe smoke) in most anything is a pound or two of kitty litter in a closed plastic bag with the case, and left in the sunshine for a week.

Plain litter works, but the 'anti-odor' variants have chlorophyll, and work better.

This is the cure for clothes, too, and books, and 19th century stuffed toys, also.

Bob

10. claybrdr

Its on the way to San Antonio to a kind gentleman who offered to take on this project. Will post some "after" pics when he finishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to clean and re condition a leg-o-mutton gun case
identifying leg of mutton case
leg o mutton case repair
leg of mutton gun case forums

leg of mutton gun case repair

repair mutton leg gun case

restore leg o mutton case

restore leg-o-mutton case