1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Repairs to an SKB 505 Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some general informaton about repairs to an SKB 505 trap gun and a gunsmith recommendation. Here's the situation...

A friend shoots an SKB 505 30" trap gun. Last weekend the rib popped loose from end to end. I'm guessing the appropriate repair will be to silver soldered it back together. I also suspect silver soldering will require a reblueing job. I doubt either will be cheap.

It also has a broken bottom barrel ejector that he wants to have repaired at the same time.

1. Are my assumptions about silver soldering and rebluing correct? If not, what are other options?

2. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith (with whom you've had personal experience) that's good with SKB's and/or silver solder and reblueing?

3. Any ball park guesses on potential cost?

If it matters, the gun is located in downstate Illinois.

Thanks in advance,

sissy

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sissy,

I'd check with Stu Wright and see if he will do it. He can solder ribs and reblue. I don't see why he couldn't fix the other issues as well.

(618)357-8933

3. jhoward

jhoward Member

Some years ago I had a 605 combo that the rib popped loose on the single barrel. I believe that the ribs on those guns were epoxied on, not soldered, could be wrong though. I sent mine back to SKB in NE and they returned it to Japan for repair. Returning it to Japan is no longer an option, but you might still check with SKB in NE to see if they'll repair it.

GU, Inc. / SKB Shotguns
    4441 S 134th St
    Omaha, NE 68137-1107

Phone: 800-752-2767
    Fax: 402-330-8040

Hours: Monday - Friday 9 am - 5 pm central time

Email us: skb@skbshotguns.com

4. new loader

new loader Member

If you are going to have it fixed, have it fixed right the first time. My son has a 505 combo with rib problems on the single barrel. It has been "fixed" many times by well meaning shade-tree gunsmiths who all claim to know the secret shortcut to fixing it. It never stays fixed. His is attached at both ends, but loose in the middle. Call GU, maybe they can point you in the right direction.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

new loader:

Thanks for the response. It sounds like your son and my friend have similar issues. The rib on my friend's O/U is also anchored at both ends but not otherwise attached.

Would you be kind enough to share the basic nature of the unsuccessful attempts on your son's 505? I'm sure my friend won't want to waste time and money on some "miracle cure" that is temporary at best or doesn't work at all.

Thanks,

sissy

6. new loader

new loader Member

check your PM

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i wud have moneymakers guncraft, omaha ne. fix it-- bill voss in omaha, is the skb gunsmith but he doesnt do rib work, his father started moneymakers years ago, so i am sure thats where he'd take it---wally riebesell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bill voss gunsmith

fixing problems with skb shot guns

skb 505 trigger
skb 505 trigger issues
tightening loose skb trap guns