1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Repairing camo tape damage ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

A friend let his son put camo tape on a nice shotgun used for hunting.

Son is no longer interested in this gun.

Friend removes camo tape from the gun and the bluing and stock look pretty rough.

With the tape removed, the bluing looks mottled -- looks like a dapple gray horse.

Any way to freshen up the appearance without having to redo the bluing ?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Try cleaning the blueing with 0000 steel wool and gun oil. Hopefully the chemical reaction between the adhesive tape and the blueing can be polished out.

I don't know what finish is on the stock. If it's an oil finish, try using a wood product cleaner, then give it more oil finish. If it is sealed, perhaps finish rubbing it will help (soft cloth over burlap with stock rubbing compound). Lots of variables here because of different finishes.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Adheasives will cause all sorts of issues with removing finishes and promoting rust.

I would use a heat gun and some gooo gone, or other similar adheasive remover, to remove any remaining residue. Do this only on the bright work as a heat gun used improperly on the wood can be disasterous.

Then use 4 ot steel wool and a fine honing oil to spruce up what's left. It'll never be like it was, but still salvagible from the sounds of it.

ss

4. billn

billn Member

Use WD-40 on the stock adn let it sit for a while, the oil will remove the residue, i put camo tape on my gun stock and I have removed it from other guns I have done this to, it doesn't hurt the stock and when finished wipe it off and use some siclone to wipe it down. use the same on the metal. don't use the steel wool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.