1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

repair of Hornady 366 and adjustng shell plate spe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jeffbob, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffbob

jeffbob TS Member

Hi
    I am new to this great site and am wondering if anyone has worked on a Hornady 366 shotshell reloader. I am having trouble adjusting the return speed of the shell plate. It is very, very sluggish. I have disassembled, lightly oiled and cleaned all the parts.

There must be a spring somewhere that I can use to increase the speed of the shell plate as it rotates counter-clockwise.

the Parts diagram is so small that I can't really see what is going on. I went to the Hornady web and downloaded the PDF manual and that also is blurry when I enlarge the immage.

Please help me with this so I can get running on that new loader.

thanks
    Jeff

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Make sure the shell plate is not too tight. The nut should be short of snug.
    Larry

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

You must have a new one. My shell plate advance is controlled by returning the lever to the upright position. I have to slow down to give the primer time to drop and keep shot from flying.

Do you have a gas piston installed on yours, and if so can you bypass it?

4. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Jeff,

I am truly suprised that someone has not given you more info.

Sorry I don't have a gas assist model so I could help. Make sure you don't have spilled shot under the plate.

I have used a PW800c a MEC9000 and now a 366. They all work well, but I think the 366 is an under appreciated tool.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Jeff, Here's a couple things.....

1. Make sure the plate is clean. No build-up of powder, no shot jamming anything underneath.

2. Good layer of grease lubricating the plate on the inner ring that holds the plate square.

3. Make sure shell plate is not bent.

4. Don't over tighten, sometimes I keep loosening up more and more till the shell plate is almost sloppy loose when it runs the best.

Hope that helps. I love my 366!

SW

6. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

If you got it used the gas piston may be shot, mine only lasts about 3 years.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

MIne does not have the gas piston--never did. You may have bent the plate,(easy fix) or have shot under the thing, or the nut too tight--all stated above. If you do have the gas piston---take it off and try it.

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Big question is if it is gas assist. If so put a new shock on it. If not clean and leave plate loose.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

i had a gas assist....for about 20 minutes.

The plate was very slow to rotate. The gas assist was new out of the box...I guess its possible I had a bad one, but I can load a lot faster without it.

So I sent it back.

10. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Jeff, There is allot more moving than just the shell plate. Lube all the other movement points. I use just a little STP every time I load. I tighten my plate just enough so the detent ball makes contact with the position hole. Good luck with it.

Mike

11. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Jeff,
    I recently automated my 366 with a PW unit. See my old post. When manually loading I would consciencely slow the handle to allow the primer to drop cleanly and avoid what you describe. Not a big deal. By automating the unit the cycle rate was much higher and without a way to slow it down. What to do???? I took a dremel with a carbide burr and ever so gently ground a few thousanths off the chamfer (right side) on the primer seating station making sure to not change the angle of the chamfer. It has worked like a charm on the last 10 flats without a single tilted or twisted primer. I have not turned the vacumn on in a week.
    By all means follow the previous recommendations, but if slowing down is not an option give this a try. Just use a light touch with the burr and you will not effect anything except the primer drop speed as it falls in the seating pocket.
    Dan

12. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

sevaral years ago I added the retro fit gas assit to my 28ga 366 machine. It was always slow to advance. Did some work on all the hinge points (polished the bearing sufaces, remove the burrs) to increase the index speed. Didn't help, Ended going back the manual adance.
    Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady 366 reloader return spring

hornady 366 shell removal

hornady 366 shotshell gas assist troubleshoot

hornady lnl ajusting the speed on the shell plates

how tite should the shell plate on a horrady 366

repairing model 366 hornaday loader

shell plate bearing for 366

troubleshooting hornaday 366 shell plate will not advance