1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Repair of 1912 gallery gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grade VI, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I friend of mine asked me to look at and shoot an old Remington 22 caliber "gallery" gun with an octagon barrel. He said that it was made in 1912. The gun shot fine but would not eject the empty shell. Is there someone out there that could fix the gun? Is it worth fixing or should it just be kept for show? How much is it worth now and if it is fixed. Approximate cost to fix also. I know that I'm asking alot of questions but this site is great for any kind of help. Thanks.........Tom

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Did you shoot a 22. Long rifle in it? Is it chambered .22 short?

3. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

The barrel says the it will shoot all three .22 lengths.

4. bill2

bill2 Member

Tom, guns of that era fired with ammo containing corrosive primers and lack of cleaning caused pitting in the chamber. When you fire a round today casing will expand into the pitting. Results no ejection. Check your chamber.

For value retention leave it like it is.

To shoot they make inserts. Gunsmith can drill out the barrel rifling and chamber and press and glue a insert in.
    Bill2

5. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

A few notes:

These guns should preferably not be relined due to the difficulty of maintaining critical contour configurations and alignments. Most liners don't have a close fit to the hole drilled through the old barrel, so precision boring would be advised if that was ever necessary to preserve the exterior. Other mechanisms are much more forgiving of minor mis-alignments, but if you add in a worn bolt (etc.) here- trouble!

If you have a problem with ejection, then a rough chamber is not the primary fault. Extraction difficulties, then maybe, but not solely ejection. You probably have a simple issue with the ejection assembly or have a worn bolt face edge.

I was just reworking one that had mostly surface freckle-rust abuse due to age, with little in the way of heavy wear inside. I did some cleanup of the rust and aged lubricants, and then applied a bit of touch-up to some minor sharp edges and wear spots. That gun pumps like a dream, now, and really didn't need any parts replaced, just a bit of tweaking here and there to make it run fine.

Kirby

6. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Tom I assume the rifle is a Remington model 12? If it is a gallery gun the model would be 12B. All gallery 12B rifles were chambered for 22 shorts only. The words Gallery Special would be stamped on the left face of the receiver.

If this gun is a true Model 12B Gallery Special I would be interested in the gun. I am on the look out for any items related to shooting galleries from the past. If the gun is stamped to except Short long and long rifle I don't think you have a gallery gun.

7. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I was told by it's owner that it was a "gallery" gun. The gun has .22 short, long, or long rifle stamped on the barrel just in front of the receiver. The serial number of the gun is 182784. It has an octagon barrel and the metal half moon butt plate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks......Tom

8. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Tom take another look at the left face of the receiver. If it is a gallery rifle it will have the words "Gallery Special". The but plate should be a crescent shaped made of steel. If this rifle has the words Gallery Special and a barrel that is stamped short long and long rifle the gun is mismatched. Probably due to extensive gallery use and was shot out and replaced with the wrong barrel.

You should go over to a web site called Rim Fire Central go to the Remington forum and post your question.

Try to post a picture.

9. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I looked the gun all over and it doesn't say a model number or "Gallery Special". Could it be an earlier model? About what is the gun worth? Thanks.......Tom

10. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

The gun is probably a 12C. As for value you can check completed auctions on the Gun Broker.

There seems to be a misconception that older 22 pumps were gallery guns. Not true. I see this quite often. More so with early Winchesters.

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Early Model 12s are not marked Model 12, but they are the same gun. You don't have a Gallery Gun, but you have a Model 12. As one poster suggested, play with it a bit, clean it up, and it will probably start to work.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kirby- You certainly gave very good advice, but many shooters use the terms extraction and ejection as synonyms.

Pat Ireland

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

"""""""""Kirby- You certainly gave very good advice, but many shooters use the terms extraction and ejection as synonyms.

Pat Ireland """"""""""""

Pat that is why I hate take someone elses written info. or instructions on a repair, even from really good and knowledgable folks.

All to often I try something that came in for repair that I never did or will meet the owner, and what is written up is so wrong it is scary! If I had worked to that I would have bought one more gun I don't need!

Al Lingham

14. rw993

rw993 Active Member

I had a few 1903 Win pump 22s from an estate purchase and none of them would extract or eject!!!!!!!!! I was told a lot of these guns were also Slaughter house guns. I read an article stating that many of these had enlarged chambers and the 22 brass swells to fit upon shooting and then won't slide out.

Not an expert just throwing more on the pile!!!!!

RW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.