1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Repair Chip

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wrzone, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrzone

wrzone Member

[​IMG]

What is the best glue to use for a chip like this.

Thanks

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lots of stuff out there, and opinions will vary.

My stock fixing guy uses Brownell's Acraglas bedding compound most of the time.

HM

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

For a simple chip like that Elmer's yellow carpenter wood glue is the best. It will penetrate the grain and bond like iron. It is transparent when dry and sands well. Be sure the surfaces are clean. "wet" each side with a coat of glue. Allow to dry until sticky but not wet. Apply a thin coat of fresh glue, clamp and secure until dry. Any excess pressed out of the joint should be cleaned up with a damp cloth before applying pressure.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You might also consider "crazy glue" ... just make sure that you have it placed just right before applying pressure! Bonds instantly.

5. Hungarian

Hungarian TS Member

I think you need to first get the oil out of the wood in the area to be repaired, then use a wood glue. I think cleaning it with acetone might work but please don't take my word for it. My mind is fuzzy since I haven't worked with wood in 20 years. Hopefully someone knowledgable will reply.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Epoxy or a good wood glue will work. But, it looks like the chip may be the result of not quite getting enough wood relieved around the side of the receiver. I suggest you fix both the problem and the wood.

Pat Ireland

7. high 2

high 2 Member

Hot Stuff, don`t use anything else. Do not use acetoneor anything else. You don`t want to disturb the grain any more than you have to. If done properly it can be repaired without knowing it was ever chipped. Larry

8. high 2

high 2 Member

It`s a super glue that`s made for wood. It comes in 3 formulas. Any of the better wood worker shops should have it. Brownells sells it. If done right, you should be able to make that repair invisable. Best thing is to fix it before the grain gets raised by moisture or oil or by disturbing it in any way. Larry

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

or if the chip won't go back together invisibly you could do something like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.