1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rent a trigger ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Probable waste of money. You either need one or you don't. If you shoot competitively and you are losing even 1 target per hundred, that is one too many. However, if you aren't committed to the change you will just noodle around wondering if it is the right thing.

Make the comittment and you will never look back. Noodle around and it will be just another thing to worry about.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I like that noodle Around thing ??

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Noodles are COOL. Mike

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

24str8 No not really . LJutic release triggers have more machining done .

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

Seems to me like,ever since a shotgun was invented, it has been a pull to fire so would not having to set a trigger to release it later would be something else to think about, im sure the answer is no or it helps someone with a flinch but just had to ask anyway. If release is so great why is it not popular in rifle and pistol shooting too ??

Bill

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

That is a good question Bill. The release motion is so smooth that it would seem to be an advantage. However, I suspect that good target rifle triggers are set pretty light anyway.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I knew a young shooter that started shooting his Dad's release trap gun. That is what there was to shoot.

Anyway, within a year, he was in AA class. This is not to say a release trigger did it all, but the release IS a more natural way to shoot.

If I did not perform defensive training in a professional capacity (like getting paid for it) I would go to a release in a second. I bought a Remmy 870 Comp, put a Schwab release in it, and shot a 98 the third time I shot it.

If I can get used to one that fast, anyone can. I was in a real slump with a flinch. I stayed with a pull, and beat the flinch with self hypnosis.

8. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I don't shoot a release, but think they are an advantage and likely will go to one if and when I have the extra bucks. Years ago I tried a Ljutic with a release and felt it was a smoother and more natural way to shoot...absolutely loved it. Broke a 24/25 first time out with that gun and the release at 16's. The secret is, I think, less mental focus and energy on pulling and moving the gun; with a release I felt that more focal energy went to getting eyes on the bird, i.e., less distraction, hence eyes more on the bird. And no, I wasn't flinching and do not now unless eyes don't get onto the bird...

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I am getting sleepy...sleepy... I will do what I say.... sleepy... my eyes are getting heavy.... I will not flinch.... sleepy..... I am Elvis.....

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot release triggers for over 25 years. I do not think I could shoot trap without one. I do have difficulty with describing them as "more natural". Release triggers will certainly help many shooters who have a flinch.

I would recommend trying a release trigger if one has a flinching problem. I can see no reason to use a release trigger if a flinching problem is not present.

Bill- A rifle/pistol trigger is pulled in a very different manner than a shotgun trigger is pulled. When I shot Bullseye Pistol, I thought about my finger moving the trigger straight back and after some time, the pistol went off. A shotgun trigger is pulled, or slapped, back very quickly.

trapshooter1992- Renting a release trigger is not a bad idea. You need to see if it will help you. You could also probably find someone who would loan a trigger to you for a few months.

Pat Ireland

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

What I want to know is, if release triggers are so much better why they don't come stock on shotguns and pull as the option? At least on the more expensive guns. Personally I think it's another gimmick for your money and even more so another mind game. I'm sure for some it may be better if you have a physical handicap where a release would be better. I talked to a few people who use release and still say they flinch sometimes so that reason doesn't hold up for everyone.

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Hoggy, They are nothing more then a tool...As a coach once told me---"Damn hard to turn a pipe with a screwdriver..you use the right tool it works easy"..When you can't pull a trigger without a flinch you switch tools and find one that permits you to continue on as before.. Personally, without one I would no longer be shooting trap.

Big Jack

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"What I want to know is, if release triggers are so much better why they don't come stock on shotguns and pull as the option?"

Because all marketing programs are directed to the lowest common denominator shared by the target market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.