1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rend Lake Shooting Complex Winter Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Larry Chinski, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Hey all:

I wanted to give everyone an update as to what we have been doing at the Rend Lake Shooting Complex since the shooting season ended.

First off, I am happy to report that the membership program we started has been very successful. We have over 50 members now and as promised, all of the membership fees have been put right back into the facility. As a matter of fact, I have been doing an excellent job of spending all of Jeff Boyken's money to rebuild the trap progam and facility! haha

Since October we have spent over $21,000.00. Some of those things include:

Two brand new trap fields were ripped up and re built. I persoanlly helped with the pouring of the concrete. Yes, my computer geek hands were forced to actually get dirty the three days we poured. We decided to do one more field but are waiting untl the weather gets a little nicer before starting that project.

We rebuilt the high and low house skeet fields. This meant tearing them completely down and rebuilding them. I know this isn't realted to the trap program but they really were in bad shape and made the place look terrible. I hold the skeet shooters responsible for the new trap machine I could have gotten with that money but that is for another day...haha

We purchased several parts for the Pat traps we have, and have added those to the ones that needed it most. We still have some work to do there but the machines are throwing really good targets now.

We ripped off and built sliding roofs on six of the houses. These are a huge help in loading targets, working on machines, etc. We also tore down one of the houses and rebuilt it completely. The ones that were in decent shape have been re-blocked where needed and re-painted. We still have a few houses left to paint but the weather beat us to being able to do that.

We re-roofed and repainted all the pavilions and fences. They were in poor condition and needed to be done, so we did it. It looks a world different.

We sent off four complete sets of the CVR's to have Bob Schultz and his crew completely go through and rebuild, fix, repair, etc. to them. This is a great service they provide to anyone for only $100.00 per set and then add a one year warranty to them. Once we get these back, we will send another three sets off to have done.

We are having our first ever membership meeting this weekend, which I am really looking forward to. It has been nice to see people take advantage of this.

We are budgeted to spend another $6,000.00 before spring, and put a few more touches on what we have been working on. I am really looking forward to the shooting season this year, and hope to earn back many of the shooters the facility used to have that do not frequent the club as much.

Stay tuned for more upates and I hope to see everyone at Rend Lake this season!

Larry C

2. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I need some current contact info, mine is out of date. Leo will be in the area and available for a clinic this summer.

3. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

See what happens when you put a United States Marine in charge of a project,it gets done and done right. Get'm Lar keep up the good work.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

LC: Good job. Shooters owe you a sincere debt of gratitude for all your work and efforts. From what I understand it has been a huge job.

Don

5. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Thanx for the words guys - I see us Jarheads stick together!

Karla the number to the clubhouse is (618) 629-2368. Jeff is usually there every day. We have had some interest in a clinic so I'll ping ya on that soon.

Thanx again guys!

Larry C

6. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

The Many, The Loud, The Marines. Ha! Sounds like you are doing good things down there, Larry. Hope to see you this summer, sometime. Btw, Sunny says "hi" to you and Hunter.

Larry

7. bkms

bkms Member

Larry, i had the pleasure of visiting the Rend Lake Complex last spring while hunting in the nearby area. I was with Mr Comp and really enjoyed yall's complex. I hope to be back up that way from south Mississippi in a few more months for more shooting there. Hope to see ya. Bob....

8. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Semper Fi

Great going, I was at Rend Lake a couple of years ago and can't wait to see the work. I have relatives in Mt.Vernon so keep me posted on ATA or just plain fun shoots.

Regards,

Jim O

9. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Larry, thanks for the update, and your good efforts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.