1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rend Lake Shooting Complex Update

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Larry Chinski, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Hey everyone:

Warning!! This is a long thread...

I thought I would take some time tonight and give everyone interested an update on what we have been doing at the Rend Lake Shooting Complex to bring the trap program back to life. See the below photos for some of the work we got done this weekend:

<a href="http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/lchinski/?action=view¤t=rend11.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

We started the replacement of the concrete for the three fields that are needed. At this point the old concrete is gone and we are laying the groundwork to pour the forms.

<a href="http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/lchinski/?action=view¤t=rend22.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

A look at what will soon be field 1-1 from the house.

<a href="http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/lchinski/?action=view¤t=rend33.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

We determined that the parking lot needed to be graded and leveled off, as it was starting to show some wear.

<a href="http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/lchinski/?action=view¤t=upcraft11.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

John Upcraft, pro shooter and all around nice guy, says "I don't need no stinkin concrete."

First update: As you can see the concrete work is in progress right now. Three fields are in need of total replacement. We will basically do one field at a time, so as to make sure they are ATA regulation fields and also to not disturb shooters as we work.

Second update: I made the call to discontinue the old brand of targets the club was throwing and switch to White Flyer orange dome pitch targets. I have found these to be the most consistent flying and most reliable birds. I contacted a distributer I have worked with in the past and was able to get the targets for significatly less that what was being paid previously. The first truckload is scheduled to arrive on August 28th. White Flyer also generously offered to donate a palat of targets for the first ATA shoot we have, which will help tremendously.

Third Update: I purchased a radar gun to set the targets to ATA specs. This way there is no question on if they are or are not regulation.

In setting the targets the first time with the gun, I noticed variations in the fields themselves, as it relates to flight angles, etc. I went into all the houses and noticed that every machine is in severe need of maintenance. I noticed many loose parts, parts robbed from other machines for quick repairs, bad brushes, missing o-rings, and just general poor upkeep. I contacted the general counsel for the Rend Lake Conservancy District and informed him of what needed to be done, and that I needed funds to do so. He advised me to put together a list of what I needed and how much it would cost. Although he didn't say yes, he didn't so no either, and we are meeting with him this coming Tuesday to see what they are willing to do for us. I am not confident, but optimistic that he will help us.

Fourth Update: I contacted a friend of mine, who probably knows more about the SW series of Pat Traps than anyone in the entire state, and he offered to come down and spend 2-3 days with me, pull all the machines out, repair them, and get them set correctly. We are looking at doing this probably the second or third week of September. Once complete I fully expect these machines to be throwing perfect targets.

Fifth update: We are starting a Rend Lake Shooting Club, which will be a membership style as most sportsmens club have. Obviously Rend Lake will still be open to the public, but membership in the club itself will have huge benefits. I have the program all put together, and this will be discussed Tuesday as well. I will hold off on providing the details of that until it is officially given the go ahead by the general counsel. Let me just say that it will be very beneficial to the club, and more importantly the shooters.

I have one more update that I will also hold off on getting into here, as that one may take more time. I hope to provide details on that in the next couple weeks.

There is a shoot that is scheduled in September, which I am going to cancel. Hopefully this doesn't irritate too many people but I think it is important to throw good, consistent targets and have the program running well in lieu of running a bad shoot. I may also cancel the October shoot depending on how ling it takes to get everything in top shape.

I want to thank all of the folks I have talked to over the last month or so via email, in person, phone, etc. I have bounced many of these ideas off of people and gotten some good advise. I will probably be calling on you in the near future.

I am still open for feedback to make sure I am on the right track here. Please let me know what you guys think about the progress thus far and if anything else needs to be considered.

Larry C

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Larry: You have a very ambitious and needed plan and I wish you great success.

Don

3. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

In the past, Leo has been to Rend Lake a couple of different times to give clinics, when you are ready, let us know and we would love to come back.

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Larry, thanks for keeping a club running instead of throwing up your hands and closeing.............Roger

5. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Where is Rend Lake Complex located?

6. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Hey Karla:

Funny you should mention coming out.....we were just talking about that on Saturday. Once we have the complex running well again, you are the "next phase" in the project. haha Hopefully next spring we'd be looking to have you guys out. We even have electrical and water for your camper at the facility.

Bigdon - thanx for the words Devildog. See ya at the team shoot. Gotta show ya my USMC BT-100 that is complete. You'll get a kick out of it.

Larry C

7. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

No problem Roger. Hope to see ya out sometime.

Rend Lake Shooting Comples is in Southern Illinois, outside of Whittington. It is probably about 15 miles from Mount Vernon, probably the largest town that close. Check out the web site for some information. It is a liitle dated, so I will be writing a new one shortly.

Larry C

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Sesser 77 mile marker I57

Jay

9. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

Going back a few years, I remember when RLCD big shot CJ Covington ran the place as his own personal gun club. No expense spared, everything was perfect, taxpayer be damned. Those were the good old days. Hope you can turn the clock back and make it like it used to be.

10. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

I'm going to give it one hell of a try that's for sure. The biggest difference now is I do not have the Conservancy district handing me a bunch of money whenever I need it. Funds are extremely limited but I am making many calls and getting a little here and there occasionally.

The thing I will need the most is support from all the guys who used to shoot here often. Lots of great shooters are on the wall of the clubhouse and I'd love to see them back. I hope they give me a chance and at least one more try. I've heard a lot of "I'm never going back there again" comments and all I ask is once I say it's ready to go, come out and try it under my direction one more time. I know I can turn it around with the right resources.

Again guys, email me with any comments or if you think I am heading in the right or wrong direction. I listen to everyone.

Larry C

11. Kent

Kent TS Member

Is that John's new K-80 he won at the Grand this year?

Good to see things starting to happen at Rend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rend lake shooting complex updates