1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rend Lake Shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hill topper, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I am wondering how the shoot at Rend Lake came off.

I believe this would have been the first registered shoot under the new management.
    I am interested in hearing comments from those who attended and shot the program.

thanks,

ed.

2. raptor1956

raptor1956 TS Member

Well Ed. it was a great day for shooting but you could not tell that from my scores I was a little rusty. All in all it was OK they only ran I think 4 squads at a time rotating traps. Took more time than usual singles got done about 1:00 and we started at 10:00 I beleave there were 12 squads. Started with 16 yard then HDCP. HDCP started at 1:00 I was in the first group we got done around 2:30 there were still people shooting when we left at 3:00 I had outher things to do sunday so I left. I had compleated my 16 and hdcp rounds and my scores were bad enough that there wes no reason to stay any longer. I have no idea what time it got done. The one thing that I would say is that they need to use more traps the wait was too long and the prices were a little high. I have no idea what time doubles got started or ended but I would guess that they got done around 6 or 6:30. I will try them one more time but if they do not use more traps than they used this time it will be my last. Took too long between rounds.

3. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

Who is the new manager at Rend lake?

Thx

Mo Bill

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

raptor1956,

Thanks for your reply.

I am told it is the same group that mismanaged St. Louis Trap and Skeet.
    I wanted to see if they had gotten their act together before I spent my time driving to their shoot.

thanks,

ed.

5. superxfrank

superxfrank TS Member

Took too long to shoot between rounds and not enough Traps used. The price was too high and overall management very simply sucked. But the best has yet to be mentioned they touted a lunch would be available then said sorry for it being delivered late, turned out it was fried chicken from Colonel Sanders by the time I was finished shooting all that was left was little chicken, some slaw and a few concrete biscuits, all this for a donation of $5.00. It also would have been nice if they would have posted which squads were shooting on the back of each score keepers chair. I would not shoot there again. Frank

6. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I thought the shoot went pretty smoothly myself. I did not partake of the lunch, not a fried chicken fan. I actually spoke with the guy running the shoot, since who played what options were not up with the scores (he got them up) and he had two major SNAFUs the week of the shoot. #1 The help he had arranged to help run the shoot (classify, run score, squad, etc), bailed out on him on Thursday. Second, this was his first time running a trapshoot. He is involved in Sporting Clays, and has run many shoots in SC, but he was not ready for how much faster a trapshoot should go. He was running eveything on Excel and we spoke of the virtues of 3S. He is supposed to stop by on Sunday at Evansville to check out the program. I think with a little time and experience, it should be back up to where it was before.

I was on the last squad of doubles and was out of there at 6:00 PM. It started at 10 AM and they had (I think) 10 squads of 16s, 9 of handicap, and 3 of doubles. Running on 4 traps, I don't think it is too out of line to run at about 8 hours. The twoe things that would had sped it up would be 1) Have one kid going from trap to trap to load. We had to wait for the puller to load the trap at least once, if not twice per 100. 2) Shoot down the line. 4 squads started at one time and rotated. It was confusing to most of us. The background is similar enough that there is no reason you couldn't have each squad stay at their trap, either. That would have sped things up.

Shot 97 in singles, 83 in caps, and 97 in doubles. Depending on my schedule, I will at least go back one more time to see how things are going.

John

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well glad I decided to sleep in Sunday I was planning to go but had shot Friday night and Saturday and was tired of driving and decided to do other things around the house.

maybe they will get the bugs worked out.

By the way did the voice calls work ok maybe that is why they only had the 4 traps open could have been some equipment bad and not enough to go around.

I forgot how many traps they have now but I think the ones at the entrance end might had been shut down because of being close to the road it seems like I heard something last year to that effect.

Fog

8. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

9. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

What happened to the previous manager who I thought was doing a great job there?

I have travelled there on several occasions the last of which was last years Sparta opening and everything seemed fine. Sorry to hear it is undergoing bad times. It is a great facility.

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

<<24 and trying to shoot all I can. I guess having a girlfriend in medical school 9 hours away helps free up some time. Maybe someday I can afford a P or K gun :)

All joking aside, she is a great girl. (I dont think she reads this but on the off chance I had to cover my butt) :)

Forrest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.