1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**Rend Lake SC Update and ATA Shoot**

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Larry Chinski, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Greetings fellow Shooters!

It has been a long time since I have posted an update about the Shooting Complex, and since we have an ATA shoot coming up thought this would be a great time.

First and foremost, myself and another individual have taken over the facility on an official basis. That means I can no longer pull the "I'm just a volunteer around here" card. (I used to love that....)

As many know, the facility was in terrible shape, and we went to work late last summer spending money, cleaning up, spending more money, and basically rebuilding a shooting facility from the ground up. The only piece of equipment working was the skeet low house, and all of the Pat Traps were under eight inches of water.

We made the call to close the complex down so we could work on everything needed to have it ready by spring. This has been quite a monumental task for all involved, including several volunteers who have stepped up and helped us by completely overhauling all of the machines, helping with events, and many other things needed to run a facility of this size.

With the help of those great volunteers we have six program fields running and one practice trap. We have instituted a token system, purchased two wireless voice releases (more to come) and started a membership program allowing anytime access to the club, reduced shooting, and camping to our members.

John and I both have full time jobs, and travel quite extensively. Many of you have been out to see what changes we have made, and understand we are two people who care a great deal about the sport, and the success of the facility. We ask of only three things - be patient with us as we learn and grow, come out and shoot, and have a good time. We figure the rest will fall into place as we go.

With that said, we are holding our first ATA shoot of the year on March 10th and 11th. The 10th we are expecting over 150 youth shooters from the SIYSSA. They will be shooting across six fields, with one other reserved for ATA shooters who wish to register targets only. We expect their program to take approximately six hours, as they only shoot 100 targets.

Sunday the 11th we will have a typical trophy shoot called "It's About Time". The program is listed on our web site and can be accessed from the above link.

John and I welcome comments, suggestions, and of course shooters to come out murder some targets. Please let us know if there is anything we can do or any questions we can answer.

Thanx everyone!

Larry C

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Great to hear from you Larry. we will have our HS Team there on the 10th. I look forward to seeing all the improvements. Thanks for saving Rend Lake Shooting Complex.

Matt

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Larry,

Does Rend Lake still have a sporting clays course?

Matt

4. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Matt I don't know if we have saved it yet but we are giving it a hell of a run. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys on Saturday.

Matt Woodson - the sporting clays course is down at this time.

Thanx guys...

Larry C

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

High winds blew it away a few days ago.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Larry:

Best wishes to you from Naperville!

Anything we can do for you?!

Jay

7. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Just come out and shoot Jay! It would be great to see you again.

Larry C

8. bob62864

bob62864 TS Member

DELETED for name calling.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hi Larry. Thank you for the update. Please tell us about becoming a member. Barry

10. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Hey Barry:

Very nice to hear from you.

Follow the above link for the membership application. We built the membership to do a few things. First, as a new start up we wanted to generate some income to pay for some of the smaller costs we incur at the club. We ask $125.00 for an individual and $175.00 for a family for a calender year. The family membership includes everyone in the household no matter how many reside there.

To show our appreciation, we give members anytime access to the facility and the clubhouse by giving them a four digit combination to the front gate and the clubhouse door. This way they can access the club anytime they want, and shoot even when the club is not officially open. We also give a $2.00 per round discount on all shooting. We allow members to use the campsites at a reduced rate as well, which again is anytime access. We have eight campsites with power, and a water spigot is close by for filling tanks. By early summer we will have water to all campsites.

Hope that helps Barry. Come out and see us sometime. We always like getting helpful hints from you experts!

Larry C

11. bob62864

bob62864 TS Member

DELETED by Moderator for name calling.

12. bob62864

bob62864 TS Member

good, I moved away from that area and promised myself that as long as he was around, I would never step back on that complex.......

13. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Bob62864 and skeet2day:

Have you checked the date of your article? That was nine years ago! My partner and I do not care one bit what happened nine years ago, five years ago, or last year. We care about what is happening NOW. Read my update on the first post in this thread. That is what we care about, and that is the direction of the shooting complex.

I personally invite both of you to come out to the club, shoot, and have a good time. Base your decision on what you see NOW, not what you "heard" or read from an article where nobody currently involved was even here.

Thanx...

Larry C

14. jkortte

jkortte Member

Please let us know if and when you get the sporting clays up and going. There is a group from the Effingham area that likes to get together and go shoot together.

Thanks John

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Larry what are the plans for the sporting clays course? Any chance with the right help it could be up and going again? I know the traps were in very poor shape as well as the tower. Woul;d love to get that up and going again. It does require a lot more help and attention tha trap and skeet i know. The batteries alone and number of traps to fill are a job. Wish i was closer. Love to re-build that part.

16. CNR

CNR TS Member

These boys are doing a great job and Southern Illinois needs more good places to shoot trap.
    Come out and shoot and you will have a good time and they will treat you right.
    They and some other good men are getting the place in good shape.
    Our sport needs more shooters and more support and not whinners.

Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.