1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rend Lake getting better!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Clay Addict, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Larry,
    I stopped by Saturday and shot a few rounds of trap and really like the token/cordless system you have installed. While visiting with some of the shooters (really nice people) they inform me that you are expanding the trap line with a couple of new houses and Pat Traps with one trap arriving that day! Hard work is paying off for you guys! I shot the skeet with a new gun while your repair guy was working on the 5-stand field. I thought I might get to shoot the 5-stand but he informed me that a non member had been seen in the 5-stand control booth and now everything is out of service. Your new gates will take care of that problem. I hope you can get the 5-stand going so I can shoot it too. I was truly very impressed with the cordless skeet system and the quality of the target. I shot a personal best in skeet, a 48 (out of 50) and never had a "no target" situation all day on skeet or trap. You must have the trap and skeet machines set just right. I hope everyone in the region will join in the fun on April 14-15 for your next big ATA registered shoot. The best birds around! Rumor has it that you anticipate over 200 shooters during the two days. I will be driving about 10 hours to make it on April 14-15 and actually look forward to the long trip to Rend Lake for the weekend. I plan on staying at the resort but I hear you are expecting several campers at the campsites at the club. My camper is 500 miles away right now. Could I bring my camper for the July shoot and leave it till the Grand for a small contribution? Are you taking camping reservations yet for the White Flyer Shoot?
    Thanks for all of your effort!!

2. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Hey Clay Addict:

One of these times I will meet you in person so I can can thank you for the nice comments! Sorry I missed you Saturday, but I was up North visiting my family and actually made it to a registered shoot at my old stomping grounds, Ex-line gun club. Another great place to shoot.

I am glad you like the new skeet set up. We literally just installed it last week, worked out a few bugs, so I think it is ready for prime time. John spent a lot of time getting the targets set right so we think it is throwing good birds finally. We are looking at a wireless setup for the 5-stand as well, to alleviate the exact issue you mentioned - someone coming in and trying to shoot for free by re-wiring the whole system. Thus the gates you mentioned.

Yes we did just get another Pat Trap. This coming weekend we are tearing down the two trap houses furthest West and building new ones. They will hold the new trap we just bought, and the one we are planning to have by our July shoot. So as you can see we are expanding the entire trap line in anticipation of some great shoots this year. We will be running nine total fields by July. Very exciting for sure!

As for bringing your camper, give me a call and I am sure we can work something out. And yes you can make a reservation for the White Flyer shoot. We typically get 6-7 campers for that one, so making reservations in advance is a great idea. We have a special surprise for our dual at dusk and HOA champion for that shoot, so I wouldn't plan on missing that if you can avoid it!

Also - we get discounts at the resort and golf course so let me know when you are coming in and I will set it up for you.

Thanx CA...

Larry C

3. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Hi Larry, John Terre from WI here; sounds like things are setting up nicely at Rend Lake I'm happy for you that all that work is gonna pay off! There is a chance that I'll be in the area visiting April 2nd-4th, any access to the club to shoot some trap during the week? Is there a web site that has your shoot schedule for 2012 and your open to the public hours listed? It's a good way for me to plan a trip down for the wife to visit her folks so I can shoot! lol J. Terre

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

So just where is Rend Lake?

What State for us dummies that are not farmiliar.

Chuck

5. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

John Terre - good to hear from ya. If you are in town that week come on over and you can shoot. We will have some people working that week so it shouldn't be an issue at all. Check the web site for our ATA dates and public hours. Basically Wednesday evenings and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Chuck we are in Southern Illinois, just South of Mt. Vernon.

Thanx guys...

Larry C

6. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

John Terre - good to hear from ya. If you are in town that week come on over and you can shoot. We will have some people working that week so it shouldn't be an issue at all. Check the web site for our ATA dates and public hours. Basically Wednesday evenings and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Chuck we are in Southern Illinois, just South of Mt. Vernon.

Thanx guys...

Larry C

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Larry,

Any plans on getting the Sporting Clays course back up and running? Any thing I could do to help?

Matt Woodson

8. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Matt,
    I doubt that you can even walk around the sporting clay course. The guy that was such a big sporting clay shooter and past manager of the facility did not take care of the place. I remember the sporting course the first year Rend Lake had it. A couple of years ago I was amazed with the poor condition. I think out of all of the stations there were 9 machines that worked and 3 did not have birds in them. However, have you been there recently to shoot on the trap or skeet line. WOW, what a job they have done, 7 fields up and running with 2 new fields coming soon. Larry and John have a registered shoot April 14 and 15. I would encourage you and the other guys in the region to help transform this place back into a great and popular trap range. I am not sure what time they start the shoot but I plan on being there at 8 am to get registered. A few weeks ago they had some really good food. I look forward to an enjoyable day and a chance at some nice trophies. Bring a chair and sit in the shade of those big oak trees.
    CA

9. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Matt - we are focusing all our efforts on what we call the "North Shooting Line" this year. That is the trap, skeet, and 5-stand events. Frankly that in itself is a huge undertaking. The sporting clays course isn't on the roadmap for this year, as the rest of the place was in such dire need of repair and reorganization.

Not just the shooting facilities, but water removal, tree clean up, damaged property removal (previous lessee burned down a large outbuilding and half of the target barn which we had to remove and clean out ourselves). We'll see how things go this year before we take on that task.

Hope to see ya out there soon Matt - it's been a while.

Larry C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.