1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REN Lake Gun Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trapshooter-Mom, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapshooter-Mom

Trapshooter-Mom TS Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I just wanted to say what a terrible place REN Lake Gun Club is for a registered trap shoot. This past weekend Memorial Weekend Ren Lake Gun Club was holding the Illinois Southern Zone Shoot. The program were mailed with Doubles and Handicap being held on Saturday and the 200 singles on Sunday. My son and I drove two hours over from Missouri to shoot the Doubles and Handicap events only. Well for some reason the program was changed and the singles were to take place on Saturday. With a big disappointment we decided to stay and shoot anyway, but we did not have a our singles ammo. The gun club didn't have 12 Ga ammo, only 20 Ga ammo to purchase. What gun club only has 20 Ga ammo for trap?? We did find a nice shooter who had extra ammo, so we purchased 8 boxes from him ""Thank You Jack". Then we waited and after waiting 1 1/2 hours the first flight had only finished there first 50 birds. Broken traps seemed to be the common place at Ren Lake. Then after each 50 they had to reload the house, but shooting could not continue because the loaders had to stand outside of the house to load. The siding on the house started to fall off and that seemed to be a distraction to the shooters! I would like to say that my son has shot trap at many of gun clubs in the Mid West and REN LAKE is by far the most miserable Gun Club in the mid west. I would only hope that the ATA will no longer allow REN Lake to hold registered trap events.
  2. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Champaign Illinois
    It might help.................if you spelled the name right. It is Rend lake,not ren lake.
    Send your address to the club,and they will be glad to send you a crying towel
  3. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Well I must certainly disagree. The folks at (REND) lake have always been great to deal with and a super place to shoot at.
  4. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Central Illinois
    The program change at the Illinois Southern Zone was posted and discussed here on TS.

Guess you must have missed it.

Nice vent, though.....Feel better?
  5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I've shot at Rend Lake - it's a nice place, but Trapshooter-Mom has a legit beef if what she stated is true. I wish I would have saved my program that they sent me for the shoot. I threw it away a day or two ago. She stated that - "The program were mailed with Doubles and Handicap being held on Saturday and the 200 singles on Sunday"

Well if that is what the program said and they mailed her one, why shouldn't she be upset if they changed it?

Sort of like being invited to a party for Saturday night, only to arrive and find out the party had been changed to Friday night.

I don't understand having 20 gauge ammo but no 12 gauge either.

I've shot at Rend Lake and will shoot there again someday. I like the place, but why go through the trouble of printing up a program, and mailing it - and then not follow it?
  6. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Central USA - Cornfields & Cows
    The program was changed at pretty short notice which, in my opinion, was not a good idea. However, shoot organizers did the best they could to get a new program posted on the internet and make notifications on this forum.

Sometimes things happen and that is why it is always better to phone first if you are traveling a great distance as that way there are no surprises. The folks at Rend Lake are trying hard to build up the trap program there. I didn't shoot well but I did have a good time as did most of the shooters I was around.

You complained about lack of available ammo for sale at the club but yet you said you came prepared to shoot doubles and handicap. Is there some reason why you couldn't shoot singles with the ammo you brought for doubles and handicap?
  7. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Trapshooter Mom,

I don't understand why you can't shoot doubles and handicap ammo at singles.

You found your way on here to vent, why didn't you see the change of program as it was posted on here for at least a week.

I can understand being upset about the program change.

The club had been allowed to run down over the years due to lack of funding.
    The current trap manager is doing ihis best to improve conditions with the limited funds he has available.

It sounds like you are one of those people that like to pour gas on a fire, rather than help put it out.

I wasn't at this shoot, so will let others that were there, to comment on how the shoot was run.

Trapshooter Mom sounds like some little league parents I have known.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Scottsdale, AZ
    It is unfortunate that the program changes were made. Not everybody has a computer or turns it on everyday. This wasn't entirely Rend Lake Shooting Complex managements fault so I hope Mom has some room in her heart for forgiveness.

As for a gun club with no shells to sell, well that's not good. They needed to have some, especially if you've been forced to change the program and could anticipate that there could be some that bring the wrong shells.

Rend Lake isn't the only club that has this house reloading problem. Their houses are not deep in the ground and there is not enough room to load the new Pat Traps "on the run". It's unavoidable there and the tops had just been completed for this shoot. A few glitches occurred but they weren't terrible.

Rend Lake is being run by trapshooting neophites (strong background in sporting clays I was told) with help from an experienced trap club operator that is volunteering his time. Consequently, there are going to be some growing pains.

I like shooting at Rend and am willing to overlook some miscues early on. It will become disappointing if they are repeated.
  9. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Trapshooting Mom - Let me first say how disappointed I am that you used this forum to discuss your concerns, especially after the lengthy conversation you and I had the morning of the shoot.

I personally sought you out to explain the program change situation, (I actually walked up and down the parking lot until I found you - remember?)apologized for it, and thought we had a reasonable conversation about that and other items related to trapshooting. I even seem to recall congratulating your son on his recent successes right?

Apparently I was wrong as you still felt the need to come on a public forum and trash us. But that is your right, so be it. Believe me the program change that occurred affected me a LOT more than it did you. I took a heck of a shellacking from many shooters and did the best I could to make it right. Still though, I feel REALLY bad that it affected the shooters this way. We do our best to make this a club FOR shooters and anything that occurs that affects them negatively really stresses me out.

Since you have made a few accusations on this forum, let me correct your statements with the facts. First of all, broken equipment was not the "common place" at the shoot. As a matter of fact, we did not have a single problem with any traps, (aside from a kid that stepped on the cord that unplugged the machine) only a couple items related to the voice releases. Three speakers, one cord, and a button were pretty much the total of the issues. These were replaced as quickly as possible. The siding on the house that fell? We fixed that with a cordless drill in about 30 seconds. So yes there were a few issues but we jump right on these things ASAP when they occur.

We built sliding roofs on all houses last year, and yes we have to stand inside or at the side to load them. We do that after 50 targets to ensure we don't have a situation where the shooters run out of targets before they complete their 100. Which would you rather have - run out when you are straight on your last 2 posts or wait an extra 10 mins to have the houses filled after 50? I know what I would choose....

It's too bad you didn't stay for the shoot. The delay caused on the field you are attempting to describe caught up very quickly, and 24 squads of singles shooters were completed, including shoot offs, by 6:30 pm. We then enjoyed a dinner hosted by the club that was fantastic.

I know we can't make everyone happy, as you have found out. I only hope that in the future you give us the chance to make things right before you vent on a public forum.

Shoot straight and shoot often....

Larry C
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.