1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

removing weight from add-on rib

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

hello all- I'm in the process of trying to match weight and balance a pair of barrels. Part of the project includes adding 1/4" add-on ribs to both. One set of barrels weighs one ounce more, and balances an inch further forward. Please don't tell me don't worry about it,,,,the clay target games are as much a mind game as anything elses,,,,so this is part of the project. At any rate, what I was thinking would be to drill blind holes in the rib for the barrel that needs to loose weight, and drill holes and fill with molten lead for the barrel that needs to gain weight, changing each 1/2 oz either way. Now my question is would it even be possible to drill out 1/2 oz of material from a 1/4", 26" long add-on rib, or am i getting into the law of diminishing returns. I have other options for the re-weigh/balance, but this is the cleanest and most durable solution. Rib weighs 3.9oz overall,,,so i'm thinking i probably can't take enough out to make it worthwhile.

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I would try a piece of lead tape (like wheel weight tape)afixed to the lighter of the two, positioned to match the balance point I desired. Definitly easier then trying to drill out and refill with molten lead. Would probably end up distorting the rib with the heat. Drilling holes to lighten would be easy, adding the needed weight would be hard.

Big Jack

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Or, you could have the heavier barrel backbored.

Rollin

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

skeet-man - You are actually trying to do two different and independent things at the same time. Matching weight is not the same thing as matching balance. Adding/removing weight from near the end of the barrel is very different from doing the same thing near the receiver.

If your add on rib is blackened aluminum, you can easily drill a hole and neatly secure some lead in the hole with JB Weld. That stuff is also black. I would drill several very small holes that will just allow some 7.5 shot to roll in the hole. These small holes should not warp the rib. Figuring out just where the holes should be drilled can be complicated. Perhaps a few shot on a piece of tape moved along the rib might be a way to start.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.