1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing unknown finish from plastic butt plate?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Rochester, NY
    In the process of refinishing a .22 rifle stock (Marlin/Glenfield 60). It's been refinished at least once before.

Stock already stripped and I'll be sanding it out and getting it ready to finish hopefully tonight.

Unfortunately the previous owner finished over the plastic butt plate as well, which is now chipping off and looks horrid.

Any ideas on how to strip the finish off that without melting the plate itself?

The stripper I used on the stock was pretty aggressive (even though it took 4 applications to get all the finish off), and actually melted the plastic scraper I was using.

I may just use that and not let it sit as long, but I thought someone might have a trick before I give that a try. Worst case I melt the plate and have to spend a couple bucks to buy a new one I guess.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.