1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing the AUTO Safety on 687 Silver Pigeon

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

For those that have don this....I got the stock off and the parts diagram and I see that part number 89 is the one I need to remove. It's a little part that looks like the number 7 that gets pushed back when the gun is fired...the problem now is that I don't see how to get it out. It is sitting under this metal shim that rotates around, but I still can't pull it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'll get hollared at for this but I swear it worked for me. I didn't take the action apart just pulled that stock and bent that sheet metal part out of the way so it couldn't push the safety anymore. Used a pair of big needle nose and went slow, any good pliars that you can get in there. The main thing is to go slow so you don't break it off.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Exactly, I don't want to take the whole action apart, just figure out how to pull that part.

To make sure I get this right, the sheet metal piece rotates around on the screw holding it down, so you just bent up the side of it that is covering the part that slides back and forth and pulled that part up and out?

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that your Beretta 687 is not a trap model? My son and I each have 687 SPII trap combos and neither gun has an automatic safety. I suprised to learn that they produce those receivers with two different safety setups.

Ed

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Seems the field guns have the auto safety while the sport ones do not.

Mine is not a trap gun, I got it for skeet and sporting.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You need to do a bit of disassembly to remove this part. It isn't really difficult but the 687 is a pretty nice gun and you don't want to bugger it up. What ever you do, yank and crank is not an option. If you can't get a knowledgable person to walk you through it then have a professional do this work.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I wish there was someone near me that could just do it....Unfortunately, I am not aware of any *competent* gunsmiths around Northern NJ.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Anyone else...I know someone must have done this and can give me the details.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

vpr80: I know a fella that tried to get a gunsmith to remove that automatic safety. He took it to 2 gunsmiths and neither would do it; due to possible liability issues. You might have someone at your club who is very gun "savvy" look at it. See if he could show you how. Good Luck. Ed

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

I believe the right way to do it is to drop out the trigger group, take out the safety spring screw, take out the automatic safety rod and washer, and put the screw and triggers back in.

I believe I read somewhere its possible to get the screw out without fully removing the triggers- I had a gunsmith do mine, so I don't know.

I have heard that a sidecutter works nicely to get the aoutmatic safety rod out- haven't tried that either. but you don't want to leave any parts pieces or bent whatchamos floating around in there. no telling what they will jamb up.

john

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I can understand the safety concerns, but it looks like such a simple fix. It's just a little bar that gets pushed back and forth being held down by a little metal shim and screw. The part that I totally don't understand is that the screw is right in the middle of action, how is anyone supposed to get in there to open it up? If I could take the screw out, I could remove the shim and pull the bar right out then just put the screw back in. There doesn't seem to be any way to get a flat head screw driver in there so is there some other tool that looks like the top of a "T" to get the screw out?

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

skeezix, any ideas on how to remove that screw without dropping the trigger? I really want to try and get this done myself because finding a gunsmith to do it will be a hassle and a half.

13. skeezix

skeezix Member

I have not tried it. You might be able to do it with a set of vice-grips (shudder) grip the head of the screw and turn it out a 1/4 turn at a time. Getting it back in might be interesting.

If there just isn't enough clearance - you have to drop or at least lower the trigger group. If you know what you're doing it is fairly easy, though I have not had occasion to do it myself. I think you cam out the hammer springs, take out the lock screw and main screw in front of the trigger gaurd, I think you take out the stock bolt plate screw as well. You need a set of very fine tip screwdrivers, something like a 0.020 blade.

I have to pull the stock on one tonight. I'll take a look and see what I've left out - If I get a chance to work on mine.

john

14. skeezix

skeezix Member

looks like there is room to turn it out the backyard way.

The right way is to drop the trigger group.

my best guess at dropping out the trigger group:

there is a small pin that holds the safety switch on- remove this and remove the safety switch

release the hammers and tip out the hammer springs- may need to make a small tool of sorts to slightly compress the springs so you can tip them off of the hammers.

take out the screw and lock screw in front of the trigger gaurd,some models do not have the lock screw IIRC.

take out the screw that was revealed under the safety switch - this is the screw that holds in the lug that the stock bolt screws into.

this should drop out the trigger group.

mind you, I have never actualy done this, but this looks right.

remember, you need the right hollow ground screwdrivers - very thin blades or you will ruin the screw heads.

I think I paid a smith about $50 to do this operation years ago.

john

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Ok, with the stock off and the barrels on and with a snap cap. Dry fire and then open the barrels, watch the part that moves the safety on. Bend as necessary to prevent it from moving the safety. Done. It ain't brain surgery and if you are careful you can bend it back when you need to. I don't have a schematic or I would point it out to you. It is easy.

16. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

skeezix, there is no way I am going to try all that....guaranteed to mess something up. I think I am going to try the bending method and see how it goes. It's just a little piece so it should work.

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

SUCCESS!!!! I got sick and tired of trying to find an elegant way to get it out so I decided the "careful brute" method. Thankfully the part was fairly soft and I was able to curl it with strong pliers and pull it out very carefully without hitting anything else. Thanks a lot guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 686 auto safety

beretta silver pigeon 1 auto safety

beretta silver pigeon auto safety

disable auto safety on beretta silver pigeon

disable safety on silver pigeon

disconnect auto safety silver pigeon 1 beretta
how to disable autolock silver pigeon
remove auto safety on beretta silver pigeon