1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing tape residue from glasses ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tailbuster, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

As long as you don't have an anti-relective(glare) coating on your lenses you can use lighter fluid or acetone(fingernail polish remover) on the lens(If the glare coating was on them it's damaged anyway-so you probably don't). Keep the solvents off the frame. Rinse it off thouroughly after the glue is gone. It is also possible that what you see may be damage to the lens itself but if you are sure it is glue do the above.

all the best,
    john

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

put a rag on your finger, and wipe it in Hand cleaner, gojo type. Wipe off the goo. Rinse glasses and clean with a soft cloth.

Use "magic" tape next time.

HM

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Goo Gone is a little strong, but any citrus based solvent will work. Heck, even juice from a fresh squeezed orange will work, especially if you rub it with the cut edge of the skin. If you use a citrus based solvent, rinse very thoroughly after.

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

WD-40. GOOD LUCK

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

moonshine.

6. 682b

682b Member

DB there is no doubt that these suggestions will remove the tape residue. Keep in mind that the color is just a dye. I would call Alan Layman or Wayne Morgan and ask them. I don't use tape I cut the round dots down to rectangles and they work great. JIM

7. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

goof off--in a can at lows or home depot, it will take off tammy fays make up.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Goof Off IS too strong. It melts some plastics, and takes some finishes and paint off.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Use magic dots the next time and you won't have this problem.

Don

10. steele

steele TS Member

Try using a high grade spray furniture polish. I clean my glasses with Lemon Pledge. It takes off any oily residue & keeps dust from attracting to the lenses. It won't hurt the lenses, been using it for years

11. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

12. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

Rub Vaseline on the lens and put it the sun to get warm, or use a hair dryer to warm up. Be careful and give it time. The Vaseline will penetrate under the residue and lift it up. Carefully wipe the residue off and reapply if necessary. We used to do this to get those post stickers off our car bumpers.

Gary

13. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Do not use Acetone been there done that, good way to screw up the plastic lenses. Richard

14. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

Use baby oil to remove any tape or glue residue from a smooth surface. Clean with a lense cleaner to remove oil trace. I use baby oil to even get pine sap off my vehicles. Use only soft clothes.
    Bob

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Another for WD-40, it works. Break-em all. Jeff

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The local optical shop here who, incidentally, cuts all my DeCot lenses uses Acetone.

I always though that Acetone would attack the plastic, but not so.

FYI.

17. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Whiz, It did mine, fogged the lenses so bad that they were useless. Also I have used acetone to glue PVC pipe together in low pressure applications. The last time I checked PVC was made of plastic. FYI RG

18. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

WD-40 works well removing old masking tape that has been baking in the sun for a few days, I would try it on glasses before using acetone or even alcohol.

It looked to me like WD-40 didn't penetrated or try to dissolve the glue/paper, but made it mechanically easier to remove the old tape and the "oil" didn't allow the glue to re-attach to the surface. I would also use a very soft cloth to minimize scratching the lens while rubbing.

Mike

19. whiz white

BLKLAB: Evidently your lenses weren't Rx or high-density PC. Different kind of plastic.

I stood and in horror watched the optical shop owner open the can of Acetone. I stopped him before he did it. He said not a problem and he cleaned the lenses.

Here's the word from the optical shop (just called them).

If you use the softer, higher-density lenses that some folks need with super high correction, this is called "polycarbonate" plastic. You CAN NOT use Acetone on it, but can use an Acetone-free nail polish remover.

Standard plastic Rx lenses are normally NOT polycarbonate, as mine are because I have a low Rx and you CAN use Acetone. I have many times.

I also do plumbing, as Acetone is useful in PVC. I used to be a safety engineer with Brown & Root in Houston. One of my areas of responsibility was at Rhom & Haas, I believe, where PVC was made. It could have been a plant closer to Shell's plant and not R&H. Anyway, I am quite familiar with PVC - poly-vinyl-chloride plastic.

Whiz

20. whiz white

I'll drink to that! Black Jack or...

;-)

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to get tape residue off glasses plastic lenses