1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing screw inserts for RAD in a stock?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tailbuster, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Hi everybody,

I hope somebody knows how to do this.

I have a RAD installed and I need to cut down the stock a bit to get a little better length of pull. It has the screw inserts in the stock where the threaded screws pass from the RAD plate and are held there in the iserts. I'd like to remove them temporarily so that I can cut the stock. I need ideas on the best way to remove them. I am not sure if they are commonly epoxied in, screwed in, or just driven in. If someone knows the correct way to do this so they can be re-installed after the cut-down, I'd like to hear it. Any ideas are appreciated and thanks in advance.

Yes, I'm comfortable doing it myself.

all the best,
    john

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Are there any visible slots or Allen heads. I have seen all three types. I currently have ones that have Allen head and are screwed in. I have several different pads for one gun. Also change stocks on auto loader from wifes to mine. These are a must for frequent pad removal.

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

The screws that go through the metal plate are allen head 7/64th's, but for clarity, I'd like to remove the threaded inserts in the stock that the screws -screw into. Thanks.

all the best,
    john

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Assuming they are the ones supplied by the manufacturer, they simply unscrew using a 4 mm hex key (Allen wrench).

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

5. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Many Thanks, Ruck

all the best,
    john

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The Inserts in the stock yes, Allen head or slotted. Very coarse threaded. You where very clear, I knew what you where talking about from the get go. I install these on just about every gun I own have owned. I am a bit over kill. I tear down all my guns every year for a full cleaning needed or not. Eventually the regular screw will strip. I had a pair that was glued in with epoxy. I took a soldering gun to it to loosen the epoxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.