1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Glue From Threads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I have a model 50 receiver that has a threaded extension on which the stock is bolted. There is a tube which screws on. I had to have it heated to remove because many years ago some type of glue or locktite was used. It's hard to see as not much is on the threads but enough that it won't allow me to screw the tube back on. Any ideas on how to get the threads clean? Thanks.

Mike Pracht.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You may have to warm it up again, but a tap will chase the threads out better than anything else.

ec90t

3. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

A bench grinder with a wire wheel works great. Hold the screw/bolt head end with some vice grips and shine her up.

If no bench grinder try some goof off. Everyone should have a can of this stuff.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

You can also chase the screw threads with a triangular file. Do this lightly and with care not to damage the screw. Another way is to lock a nut into a vice and slowly turn the screw into the nut. Turn the screw a few times and then back it out.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.