1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing FRONT BEAD ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coffee, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

Do you know of anyone who has removed their FRONT BEAD and has it helped?? And are there many shooters out there that have done this? Among TOP shooters, do they also or is it as much as 50-50? Thanks ....COFFEE

2. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Removing BEAD ????

Why would you want to?

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Removing BEAD ????

I know of 2 shooters that just black them out with a marker.

4. coffee

coffee Member

SOUTHBEND...They say that some people will use their Bead for aiming / tracking and therefore miss. Many shooters that are good at RIFLE and PISTOL have this habit that is hard to break......COFFEE

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Removing BEAD ????

On one of my particularly bad shooting days, I removed my GLOWING red sight from my 525 Grade 1 and proceeded to break everything thrown. Guess I was looking more at the red sight than the targets. Now I use the smallest diameter fiber optic sight possible, as I still use different colors for different conditions.
    AndyH

6. coffee

coffee Member

ANDY44......If you removed your FRONT BEAD and went on to have a good day why did you put one back on? Why not just continue without one?

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Removing BEAD ????

Having the bead/beads allows you to confirm that you have mounted the gun the way you intended. After the shot, the position of the beads confirms whether you stayed "in the gun". You should not be looking at the beads for two seconds before you call for the bird. Look at the target until it breaks. After the shot I like to look back at the beads to confirm to myself that I am not picking up my head, etc. IMHO Ron

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Removing BEAD ????

Making the correct relationship on a moving target with a shotgun's bead/barrel/rib is accomplished with the peripheral vision. Removing the bead only makes the gun pattern a tad higher since it leaves the rib or barrel for the above reference in some fashion to each individual.

The idea behind "blackening the bead" is to help you keep your eyes focused on the target, not switching back toward the bead! The bead isn't the problem, it's an eye movement problem. Hap

9. washandwear

washandwear Member

Removing BEAD ????

I took mine off when I was bead checking alot. I then barrel checked instead since there was no bead. The key for me is to look through the bead changing my focus out into the field of flight and once the target appears stay focused on it until after the shot.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Removing BEAD ????

After about my first 6 months shooting, I took off both my beads and have never looked back, so to speak. My average took a noticiable jump. That was two years ago. I have learned to shoot well without beads. I believe it allows me to see the target better.

YMMV.

11. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

Removing BEAD ????

first yes it will make your gun shoot a little higher but most need that anyway. second the shooter that asked if you shot better why put it back on is also right if you shoot better what difference does it make you did better.
    I took mine off after Phil Kiner watched me beed check alot in doubles, and on my way home I thought how can I stop bead checking? well if it isnt there I cant look at it so I took it off and have never looked back. that was 1995.
    I wont say how good I am or am not (had my worst year last year). but I do have a couple of 100 straights from 27 good luck KK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.