1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

removing forend from Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Patrick Haskins, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Can one of the resident experts explain how to safely remove and replace the forend on a Model 12?
    thanks,
    Pat Haskins

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

First thing you want, and I am NOT one of the experts, is a fore-end wrench from Brownells. I had one years ago, Lord only knows where it's hiding now. Be carefull and good luck, Bob

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

It is some times the easiest thing to do but that is the exception as these forends have been on for a long time some 100 years. There is a special wrench that fits the slots I drop a little liquid wrench on the threads and let it sit a day, The hard part is holding the wood while applying pressure to the slots so the wrench does not slip or you will damage the slots and anything else near by. I use a set of concave rubber blocks in a vise to hold the wood so I can push the wrench against the slots and turn at the same time. It is a challenge at time if the ring is frozen as you have to be careful with the pressure on the wood in the vise. I did learn this the hard way so caution is my advice try it and if you have trouble stop and send it to a Model 12 guy. Pat where are you located??

Buddy

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its called a "Spanner Wrench" and its makes it a lot easier if you have one otherwise you can sure mark stuff up ...Steady, constant pressure on the wrench will do it so do not try and get muscular and break something ... I had a couple of spanners but never used them so they are in the garage someplace, only God knows for sure where ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I'm in Illinois. Do you have to remove the screws that hold the tube to the barrel first?

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you have never done it ... or have a friend to show you how ... take it to a gunsmith!

No sense buggering up a nice Mod 12!

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Yesterday I sold (on here) and book that tells you how to remove-replace every part in a model-12 for 25 bucks .

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

In addition to the aformentioned spanner....3 hands come in handy too...

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

If you are mechanically inclined it may not be much of a job but it does require a spanner wrench for the forearm cap. If you have the magazine tube and barrel removed the rest is simple. The magazine tube is slotted and mates with slots in the receiver. The tube is prevented from rotating by a pin at the end of the tube. Pushing the pin allows the tube to be rotated and pulled forward out of the receiver. Once the tube clears the receiver the barrel can be rotated ( also slotted to the receiver) and removed. Sometimes the tube can be a pain to rotate due to crud or whatever. When re-assembling you know things are lined up right when the arrow on the tube aligns with the arrow on the receiver.

10. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Thanks for the help
    Pat

11. snkypete

snkypete Member

AGI (American Gunsmith Institute) has a great technical, detailed DVD on the Model 12. It will tell you everything you need to know to disassemble and assemble a Model 12. It is well worth the money. You can contact them at www.americangunsmithinstitute.com or 1-800-797-0867.

Richard L.

12. 1oldshooter

1oldshooter Member

Here's the wrench you need: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=976945. 1oldshooter

13. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Already have one thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to remove winchester model 12 forend
model 12 forend removal
model 12 trap forend
remove forearm from a model 12
remove forearm nut winchester m12
removing fore end model 12