1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Finish from K-32 Stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dverna, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

I acquired a K-32 stock (with Gracoil) to "save" the pretty wood on my K-80.

It has that "reddish" look and I would like to get advice on the best way to remove the finish and get down to bare wood.

If I do a decent job, it will go to Tron for an adjustable comb.

Thanks,

Don

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Softening to finish and scraping will get much of the finish off. this must be followed by sanding off the remaining spots. Very course steel wool and 120 grit paper followed by 150 grit paper is about right for this job. Use care not to gouge the wood when scraping off the finish. A lighter brown penetrating stain should cover the red stain that does not come off with sanding.

I do not like to over sand the wood with fine grit paper. This tends to burnish the wood and results in uneven staining. A lot of sanding with 150 grit followed by light sanding with 180 grit or no finer than 220 grit will do nicely. The wood must be uniform and scratch free. It is very important to polish the final coats of the finish but the wood does not need to be polished prior to applying the finish.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to remove k32 stock