1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

removing epoxied in adjustable comb hardware?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The "nut" in one of my adjustable comb discs that the post screws into has become stripped out. The discs are epoxied in. Is there any easy way to loosen the disc so I can pull the nut out and slide a new one in?

2. jerry chipman

jerry chipman Member

Use your electric sodering iron to heat the comb disk and after a few minutes it will loosen up and then you can fix your problem and clean up the area and use a good five minute epoxie to put it back together. Jerry

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If you don't have a soldering iron or can't reach it with your soldering iron, here is another way to do it.

Use a long blade screwdriver and a small propane torch. Touch the tip of the screwdriver to the part you want to heat and then apply heat to the blade (shank) of the screwdriver. In a minute or two, the screwdriver will transfer the heat to the part it is touching. It usually takes about 250 degrees Fahrenheit to melt most epoxies. Naturally, use heavy gloves to protect your hands and don't direct the flame too close to your stock.

Easystreet

4. skeet_man

easysteet-thanks for the alternate idea. I have a soldering iron, but either i'm using it wrong or its busted b/c I can't even get enough heat out of it to burn cardboard LOL.

5. joshif

joshif TS Member

Put a bolt,screw with the same threads into the stripped nut and heat the bolt with a torch.

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ian - have you thought about just using a helicoil in the stripped nut? I would be surprised if you would often have much need to remove or re-install the post....generally, once in they are left there.

7. JLW

JLW TS Member

You could heat a nut and lay it on the ring. Avoid breathing the fumes resulting from heating the epoxy.

I would not rely on the epoxy holding the base in alone. I always screw the bases down with two small SS wood screws.

When re-installing the base, wax the nut so surplus epoxy does not stick to it. Surplus epoxy may squeeze out and can usually be cleaned off with vinegar. Surplus epoxy in the nut channel can be cleaned out with a small pick or chisel if it impedes nut travel.

Center the post on the base and install the comb on both posts; complete assembly to assure the base is aligned with the bushings in the comb.-Jerald

8. skeet_man

Thanks for all the info guys. As far as a helicoil, i'm not sure they make some small enough, would probably be more of a pain to install that just popping the hardware. I love Kolar's style of hardware (held in w/ screws only no epoxy), so much more convenient of something like this happens or you want to refinish the stock or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.