1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

removing cutts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by funski, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funski

funski Member

What is the best way to remove a cutts compensator from a mod. 12 barrel, without ruining the barrel. thanks Jim

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The adaptor of the cutts is very likely silver soldered to a turned down section of the muzzle. Removing the Cutts will expose the smaller machined spot.

Cutting would be your only option, but then you would not have any choke choices.

I'd leave it on....the "damage" has all ready occurred.

Doug

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Often, the barrel was not turned, the cutts adapter was bored to fit. No way to tell which it was in your case so I agree with Doug..damage is done.

Cutts Compensators work great. You can get any kind of a pattern you want with the tubes. There are only two problems. UGLY. And LOUD.

I thought of making a cutts body without the cutouts. I made adapters, and a few tubes years ago and they worked fine.

My old 97 with Cutts and my 1 1/4 oz handloads were outlawed at out club after winning many, many card shoots. (Gun was o.k., loads were not.) We/they decreed only shells provided by the club.

I'd say, use it as is and have fun, just don't forget your ear protection. And be ready for glares from your neighbors on the line.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Savage-

I installed at least a hundred of them while working at Kolar. Kolar had their own style.

If you didn't turn the diameter of the bbl for the adaptor, it is very possible (and highly likely)to not have the Cutts concentric with the bore.

Doug

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Doug.. Did the Kolar model look anything like my "Super ComP".. which I designed and made some 25 years ago.. .725 bore 48 holes drilled at a 45 degree angle back.. It took standard Cutts tubes.. I redirected the gas to pull the barrel forward..which it actually did.. The shorter the barrel.. the better it worked.. i'm putting on on a Seitz barrel as soon as it arrives..along with a high.. short rib.. Those here will be the first to see it.. All Good.. Mike
    [​IMG]

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Mike,

Instead of having the slots on the top and bottom. Kolar made the main body tube with slots positioned 45 degrees from the top dead center. They left about a 1/2" solid strip down the middle to the front sight.

doug

7. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Funski.....It's possible that your Cutts is factory installed. What is the choke marking on the barrel?

Jere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
collar for cutts compensator
cutts compensator

cutts compensator removal

how to attach a cutts compensator to shotgun barrel
how to get a cutts choke off barrel

how to remove a cutts compensator

removing cutts compensator
removing cutts compensator housing from the collar