1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Bt-99 rib pickets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

This is a question for all you metal workers out there. I'm working on a new rib design for my bt-99. Before I can attach the new rib I need to remove the old rib and pickets. My question is what is the best way to remove the pickets? I was planning to just grind them off, but wat if I heat the pickets up any and try to twist them off with a pair of plyers? Would that work. I'm trying to come up with a method that would leave the barrel compketely unharmed. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. BYG

2. Beretta Young Gun

3. bultobill

bultobill TS Member

I believe that they are brazed on and can be heated and removed. Stew wright should be able to help you out..

4. burtona

burtona Member

Seems to me I remember from some where that ribs are soldered on and fairly easily removed with some heat from a torch starting at one end and moving the heat along the barrel as the solder melts. Reattaching one is where the craftsmanship comes in.

5. Beretta Young Gun

Thanks fellas. I'm actually working on a rib that's kinda like a kolar rib in that its free floating in the middle and anchored to the exsisting step in the rib at the back and adjustable via a hanger in the front. No new materials need be added to the barrel, just some metal removed. Ill keep ya all posted on how it turns out

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

uh, keeping the barrel straight as it cools it the craftsmenship part. you can not simply heat 'er up, remove the pickets and let it cool off. cause and effect, it will bow the barrel without restraints, or will have to be straightened after they are removed. If you are simply looking to make an adjustable rib it wouls be best to have something to keep rib in line with the barrel and just let the rib float over the pickets.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Duh, do ya think it is time for a gunsmith

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Sometimes even the simplest looking jobs need a professional. Metal expands when heated and you change the temper of the metal if not done properly.

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

which brings up another point, less is best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you replace the rib on a bt-99

working on my bt-99