1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing a stripped set screw?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Got a stripped set screw in one of my comb ajusters. look for advice on the easy way to remove it.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Just take it to a gunsmith. He has the know how and the tools. All your going to to do is regret not doing so if you try to fix it yourself.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Small drill bit and an easy out.

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

Take an old allen wrench, put a small drop of superglue on the tip, insert it into the stripped screw, let it set up, remove screw.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Knowing the stocks you put on your guns, Auctioneer has the best advice

6. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

I had to use a ball end hex key in metric, as a standard one had rounded mine out.

Tim

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If the hex is rolled it,'s due to over tightening. Learn how to torque in inch pounds, not foot pounds and stay away from stainless steel set screws, they will be the 1st. to crack in the hex wall, then each time you try to loosen your spreading the thread even tighter. Drill the faulty set screw out.

8. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Grind the tip of a proper size hex wrench so it is nice an square, leave the burrs, often the square edge and burrs will gain enough "bite" to loosen the set-screw.

Michael Goines

9. Vertas

Vertas TS Member

Try using a small Left hand drill it will also work as an easy out, just take your time.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

One thing that has hepled me from stripping out a screw is USE A GOOD ALLEN TOOL. Don't use the cheap crap use a good AMERICAN MADE TOOL. Good steel. I'm sure there are better ones out there but I buy Snap-On and they have worked well for me.

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Tron - I'm thinking it, and you said it. Auctioneer, IMHO nothing beats Snap-on.

HJH

12. folothru

folothru Member

put a little grease on your set screw to start with and you will be able to tighten it more than a"dry" set screw especialy in aluminum frame.....then you wont ever have the need to put the gorilla twist on your set screw

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you have the proper size Torx bit that will fit in the hex head snugly, sometimes you can get it to hold enough to break it loose and spin out...you just got to stay pushed in tight and square and it should get it out for you to replace it

14. klf

klf Member

If the set screw is in aluminum simply apply a small amount of heat to the aluminum while trying any of the methods listed above. Aluminum expands more than steel and it may make the job a little easier. Good luck

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Torx with crazy glue did the trick

Thanx

Phil Berkowitz

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Don't use the cheap crap use a good AMERICAN MADE TOOL. Good steel. I'm sure there are better ones out there but I buy Snap-On and they have worked well for me."

"Auctioneer, IMHO nothing beats Snap-on.</i></blockquote>Snap-on tools do work well in most cases but it's a shame that many of them are not made in the USA anymore. I have file sets made in Portugal, pullers from Taiwan and chisels from the UK. I originally found out about it in the Snap-On entry here: <I>Still Made in the USA.com</I>

Go into the Snap-On web site on-line catalog and check for yourself. Every tool in their on-line catalog lists the country of origin for that tool. An example... sorry:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

17. wm rike

wm rike Member

Folothru - Each size and pitch of threads has a specified make-up torque and that torque is based on the threads being dry (unplated and unlubricated). The specified torque goes down with lube and/or plating, in some instances as much as 50%. There are tables for this.

18. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I am surprised that a "TECHNITE" had such issues with things of a mechanical nature!

Joe 72

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Getting it out was the issue---destroying a beautifull piece of wood was the issue

Phil Berkowitz Brooklyn Tech 59"

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Glad that worked for you Phil!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

superglue to remove a stripped 1911 hex screw