1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing a glued on Perazzi pad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cottondoctor, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I am sure it has been discussed on here before – but does anyone have a “relatively easy” method to remove a glued on Perazzi pad without hurting the stock – would rather not hurt the pad but the stock is the important point- Thanks in advance.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Dental floss.

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I very carefully lifted one edge of the pad with a sharp box cutter and worked heavy mono fishing line back and forth between the pad and stock to separate the two. No damage to either.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Heat the pad (not the wood) with hair dryer, then use a thin blade knife to slice into the edge, heat, slice, repeat, it'll come off without any damage.

5. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Heat with hair dryer while using heavy mono fishing line. Work the line in a sawing motion between stock and pad. Quick and easy process no damage.

Regards

W&W

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I scribe a line ALL THE WAY AROUND the base of the pad, carefully, with a metal straight-edge and an X-Acto knife with a fresh blade. This reduces the chances of any finish poppin-off the wood during the remval process.

I then place the butt-stock in a soft-jawed vice, gripping ONLY the pad at its hard plastic base, and rock the stock to get a crack started. With an eye-dropped, I then drip in lacquer thinner to soften-up the contact cement used at the fctory.

Being gently and patient is the key. When the pad starts to "lift" it goes quickly by the addition of the lacquer thinner. Then I use more thinner to remove the old remaining contact cement from the face of the wood.

I also install my Whiz-Nuts(tm) when installing a new pad that requies the use of screws. These are not screws, but BHCS 10-28x1½" hexhead screws. You can attach and remove the recoil pad umpteen times and not worry about stripping-out the wood, as you would by using wood screws... and the insert is easily sanded, but metal.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.