1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing a add on rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moose!!!, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I am considering adding a rib to a gun. It as been suggested I use black silicone adhesive sealant by Permatex to apply the rib. My question is once applied how hard would it be to get the rib back off if I wanted to remove it?
    I would want it off without a trace or any residue left in the knurled pattern on t op of the rib is there a method to get it off clean. Would double-faced tape be a better selection?

Thanks for your replies

2. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Use dental floss under it by pulling it back and forth. Worked for mr. Woody

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Silicone is better because you can reposition the rib before it dries.
    With the tape you get one shot. Also, the add-on rib fits better onto the original rib, whereas with tape, there is a little gap. After the silicone dries, it's easy to trim off the excess, and you have a nice looking installation.

To remove it, as ReconDoc suggests, a little dental floss or thin fishing line will slice through the silicone without damaging the rib. Most of the
    residue silicone comes right off just using your fingernail (unless you bite your nails.)

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

As Recondoc said, or a piece of very thin fishing line works as well. Removed a couple of stick on barrel blinders at the muzzle and used Gunscrubber initially to loosen and then to remove the adhesive afterward. Re-oil the end of barrel with Rem-oil afterward of something similar.

Good luck.

5. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Bridgeshoot Ribs. Many styles, most adjustable. Easy clamp on and off.

www.bridgeshoot.net

Tomas

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Black silicone is the best way. Starting at one end press down to squeeze out the excess and work your way to the other end. Suction will hold it in place till it dries. Don't use anything else to hold it in place. Plenty of time to position it properly.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Silicone works best for metal add-on ribs (keensights). Tape works best for delrin/ABS/plastic add-on ribs (devault). You can use the tape for the metal ribs, but you can't really successfully use silicone for the plastic ribs (doesn't stick well). I find tape allows for a much cleaner installation as well (no mess from oozing excess silicone). If you lightly set the taped rib on the existing rib before you press it down, its very easy to reposition it to where it needs to be, then press it into place.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

RTV silicone worked fine with Delrin for me. Mounted one on an aluminum rib and it is very secure. It even held securely while I milled a little off the top to adjust the POI.

9. braunpro

braunpro TS Member

I have sold hundreds of addaribs, and havent had one complaint about removing the rib. We use 3M double sided tape, the same kind of tape used on all of the cars to hold mouldings on. We tested silicone, and found besides it is messy the chemical reaction between the silicone and the bluing was a slight problem. Just get a peice of 30 lb. fishing line and work it between the 2 ribs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

add on rib

delrin add on rib

how to remove a shotgun rib with 3m

how to remove delrin rib