1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing 1100 stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bubba68, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba68

bubba68 Member

I need some help removing the stock from an old (early 80's) 1100 field model. I want to remove the field stock and put on a Jack West stock.

When I look in the stock bolt hole, I see a large nut with an extremely large slot for a screwdriver. In the middle is a hole that almost appears to be another slotted nut further inside. Do I need to buy a special screwdriver, or do I need to take it to a gunsmith?

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

A large slotted screw driver will work. You can also use the the slotted end of a wheel wrench.

Shawn

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I made a tool out of a 3/4 inch wood spade bit. A little work on the grinder and I had a perfect tool.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you have a four way tire iron with the arm for removing hubcaps, that will work great for removing an 1100 stock.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are two different 1100/11-87 bolts

Brownells makes a socket for each- now you might think you dont need this- but with some a screwdriver just doesnt work and you can get it off center and crack the stock

Try it first with the stuff you have around home- it it doesnt work easily- order a tool

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

The other slot you see is the mag tube retainer for the recoil spring, two different items. Pull up an exploded view of the 1100 off the net, will all make sense then.

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

After messing up a stock using some of the "tips" talked about above, I bought the special tool from Brownells. Smartest thing I ever did...

cap

8. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I ground a piece of steel (a 3/4" flat washer) to make a bit, that fits across the teeth of a 11/16" socket. The socket fits over the nut and keeps the bit centered.

If you use a screwdriver, wrap some tape around the shaft to keep the screw driver centered. If the nut is really tight, take care to keep centered or you will break out the side of the stock.

Michael Goines

9. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

There's some great advice here! By the time you find/buy a huge long-shafted screwdriver that fits the slot, you may have to grind the "love handles" off the sides to get it down the hole. By the time you do all that you could have that nice socket tool from Brownell's sitting in your mailbox for less $$ and effort! (Oh, and get a long extension for your socket wrench while you're at it.) ....Rick

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's probably electrical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.