1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove Tile Adhesive?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by loophole, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

Whitelaw gun club is remodeling. The old linoleum-type tile was removed but the adhesive is still on the floor. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the adhesive. We have some quotes, but it's really expensive and we can't afford to contract it out. HELP!!!!

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Try dry ice and then scrape behind as you slide it along. Most Ukrops carry it. Jeff

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Heat gun and a scraper.

4. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Rent a comercial floor sander. Wear dusk mask and gloves because the old tile contains asbestoes. Vacum as you go. Post-2

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I once went into a restroom that had tile on the walls !

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

LUMPER? did you get off dialup ?

7. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

They do rent a SCRAPER also ....one GIANT blade that ocilates...less DUST. I would contact your BEST rental place. DO NOT MESS with OLD asbestos. Can you underlay over the mess? That's a good solution too, unless you're on concrete.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

OK, on this one I CAN help.

The company I work for does this very type of work. Demo and asbestos/lead abatement. I have to take care of the warehouse and deliver/fix the equipment and material to the jobsites. There are different types of machines you can rent to take care of the mastic.

A sander might be good enough to take up the old mastic, but it will take you FOREVER. Contact an equipment rental dealer in your area. One of the bigger companies that handle commercial tools will have one of these machines. It is called a Flaky Jake. (110V or gasoline)

This machine falls under the heading of floor scarifier. It will have two rotating heads and 6 cutter blocks. It WILL take the mastic off the floor. There are two downsides to using this machine. The floor underneath cannot be wood. Concrete is just fine. The Flaky Jake is too aggressive for wood underlayment. The second is that they usually do not rent the cutters. You have to buy them. Six cutter blocks are around $240.00. Add this to the rental price and I'll bet you are still way under the contracters price to do it.

Trust me, if you saw some of the guys that we get out of the hall, ANYONE can run the thing. It will NOT take you long to get the old hard mastic up. TIP, wrap duct tape over the tread on the rubber wheels. It is a LOT easier to change and take off the tape than it is cleaning the mastic from the wheels. Some of the mastic will get hot and soft from the friction. It WILL stick to the wheels. Not if you have them taped. I learned this the hard way. After two hours of scraping, all the jobs got the word to tape the wheels from then on.

Post-2 is correct about the tile. It probably was asbestos. Forget the dust mask. Get yourselves 1/2 mask respirators with throw away cartriges. North and 3M make good masks for under $20.00 each. Throw away suits would be a good idea. A good dry vac with a clean filter will take care of the dust. Change the bag and clean the filter.

If the floor IS wood, there are still electric walk behind scrapers that will make your life a whole lot easier. One uses a 6 or 8 inch blade that can be flipped over depending on the underlayment. We have used ours on LARGE wood floors and they work great. The blade vibrates left/right while you push it along. You can rent these from the same type of dealer. The GOOD thing about these is the lack of dust. Ask if they rent a floor stripping machine made by a company named Palmer.

Now for the real tricky part. IF the mastic is "hot" as they say, you could have a problem disposing of it. That is where the abatement companies come in. It is not "quick and dirty" work. On the BIG jobs like schools and hospitals they really have to know what they are doing. It sounds like you can take care of this job with a few guys and the right tools.

That old saying about having the right tool for the right job REALLY applies here.

Good luck, Tom(AJ100)

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

there are several removers but Sentinel is the best they make 2 types one for the black tar base and one for carpet / sheet base glue Its the 626. contact them for distubtor near you rick

10. hanginghog

hanginghog TS Member

Had to do the same thing when we got our house. I used a solvent readily available from Home Depot, slathered it on with a cotton head mop, and let it sit for an hour. Used one of the $20 blade scrapers and it came up with no effort! It was great and got ALL the mastic off. If you are interested in trying it, let me know and I'll look up the name.

Brandon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.