1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

In the Chicago Tribune yesterday 1/24 Letters to the editor section a newly discoverd moron stood out. His letter to the editor suggested the we the people of the United States do away with the 22nd ammendment that limits a presidents term to 8 years or two terms . He suggested that Obama be allowed to be president for as long as he cared to serve in the office. This after Obama is in office all of three days! I am amazed at the stupidity of the masses, what a moron. This guy woud have prefereed a coronation to an inaguration.

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

We need to add an amendment for term limits on congress, instead of removing term limits for presidents.

Look at how long some of those clowns have been up there. Teddy K has been in office while 10 presidents have come and gone. And there are others who have been in there longer than that.

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

If you could please attach a copy of this morons picture I would like it to hang on my pattern board.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bruce Specht

"In the Chicago Tribune yesterday 1/24 Letters to the editor section a newly discoverd moron stood out. His letter to the editor suggested the we the people of the United States do away with the 22nd ammendment that limits a presidents term to 8 years or two terms."

So you think it just this Moron Huh? then you had better click on the link in the Website address above. Then check out the date on the proposed bill and the session of congress it is referring to.

Bob Lawless

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Didn't you mean "One swallow doesn't make a flincher",,,,to bad for us,,

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Congress should have term limits as they have demonstrated that they're almost worthless serving one term; it gets twice as bad on two terms (may I suggest 1 term for a senator and two for a House member). Now for the president: seems like every president's second term goes downhill somewhat and two 4 year terms are enough. Darrell

7. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

How about 20 years total at the public trough. No more than 20 years in either chamber and no more than one six year term as president. After 20 years, they're as corrupt as they get and we need new blood to start the process all over again.

tonygrz

8. blooch

blooch Member

Personally, I think Presidents should be limited to one term in a lifetime, just 4 years. Same for members of Congress.

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Congress and Senate should be limited to 2 terms, and a training system should be devised for freshman legislatures so they understand the procedures as soon as possible.
    Many claim that a constant number of new representatives would make the system flounder. I'm sure there would be a way to smooth out the transition. It would also limit the success of special interests.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Guys, while it's admirable to wish that we see wholesale changes in Washington, D.C., please heed the old adage, "Be careful for what you wish".

There are a number of problems here, primarily the imbalance of power between branches of government. All want to be the most powerful. The U.S. Constitution was designed to have three EQUAL branches of government. Right now, the legislatvie and judicial branches' powers exceed those of the President.

The 22nd Amendment (or The Get Rid of FDR Amendment) was pushed through by legislatures and a Congress bent on ridding themselves of a President who had overstayed his welcome. He had broken the prime rule since George Washington, who voluntarily left office after two terms.

If you managed to get Congress to limit themselves (and why should they), whom do you think will be in charge of lawmaking? It will be the staffers of those now in Congress. A lot of staff jobs rotate among succeeding representatives and senators, since they know the structure of the beaucracy. Talk about unaccountable!

Republican government (small "r") relies on the moral judgement of those who make laws to go back among the governed and live under those same laws. Who among Pelosi, Frank, Rangle, Byrd, Kennedy, Reid, among others, could possibly be counted as moral? When have any of these people had to live within the laws others do? Kennedy skated out on a manslaughter charge (at minimum), Frank allowed his homosexual lover to run a house of prostitution from Frank's Georgetown townshouse. Pelosi's husband has clear conflicts of interest, and nobody cares. Reid was allowed to change reports after he lied on the originals. Just who in the Senate allowed this to take place.

In this past election, informed voters wondered about the choice of the lesser of two evils. The balance, uninformed at best, and totally snowed at worst, elected someone with no leadership skills, based only on "change". It reminded me of "Elmer Gantry".

Rant and rave if you must. I hope you feel better for it. I fear, however, that the tipping point has been reached. Your and my monies are voted away from us, simply because it can be done.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why we should remove 22nd ammendment