1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove surface rust

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hawk57, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I have a Berretta bobcat. It's been in an unopen box for several years. I took it out the other day and noticed brown flaky rust spots in various nooks on the gun. Not sure how deep the rust goes yet. Any suggestions on removing the rust (I don't care if I have to reblue). Any good chemicals or should I break out my Dremmel?

Hawk,

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I use a brass brush and bore cleaner or oil and scrub the area repeatedly.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Fine steel wool

4. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

You may want to try a piece of deer antler.

5. southpark

southpark TS Member

If you are going to reblue anyway (and all the prep that entails), Naval Jelly is what you need.

This will remove it completely.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C016OC/sr=1-1/qid=1156575701/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

6. spritc

spritc Active Member

Hawk, whatever you do, do not use steel wool unless you are planning to re-blue. Buy a gun polish like Flitz and it will remove surface rust without removing the blue. Go slow and don't rub too hard and that should do the trick. For a small area that has some surface rust, take a penny and gently rub the rust spot. This too will remove the rust and not harm the blue.

Good Luck,
    Steve

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Break Free used gently with fine steel wool and allowed to sit overnight will get under the rust.

Kroil is good too.

Lead wipes take rust off and if care is used the blue stays. If there is no blue left under the rust you may be able to use some cold blue. Clean with Brakekleen first.

I like the penny trick, will try next chance I get.

HM

8. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Thanks for the info. Dam rust is in very tight corners that I can barely get a cuetip into. Might need to go with the chemical approach and reblue. Only paid $100 for it at a gun show years ago. So I'm not to concerned wit hit's looks but I don't want any rust.

Thanks,
    Hawk

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'd 2nd the Flitz approach, plus it leaves a protective coating to inhibit future rust - try a toothpick to get in deep or a bamboo skewer.

Jay Spitz

10. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Thanks for the help guys. Last night I got out my Dremmel (on med speed) and the fine wire brush wheel attachment with some breakfree. I removed all the rust and the process left the metal intact with no pits. I only needed to do the barrel, hammer, slide, and trigger/housing(The gun frame is aluminum). I cleaned it with alcohol and reblued (cold). It turned out great!

Hawk,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.