1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remove oil from stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by garyl44, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyl44

garyl44 TS Member

How do you go about removeing gun oil that has saturated into existing finish?
    I want to refinish stock and forearm useing (true-oil). I would like to hear
    any comments. The wood is dark walnut Perrazi.
    Garyl44

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

bury, it in a bag of oil dry for about a week, might suck alot of the oil out.

tony

3. 3357

3357 Member

DO NOT OVERHEAT THE WOOD I had some success with warming the wood with a blowdrier and as the oil came to the surface blot with a paper towel

DO NOT OVERHEAT THE WOOD

4. dlhelton

dlhelton TS Member

Easy Off Oven cleaner in a warm oven....WARM NOT HOT....

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Gently heat with blow dryer or near wood stove etc. Wipe oil off oil as it comes to the surface with rag dipped in rubbing alcohol.

6. pjh

pjh Member

some folks soak the wood in Acetone. then sand. Be sure that what ever you use can be nutralized before applying the finish

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i used my wifes steam machine to get the cosmolene out of the stock& action of a sks & a mosin ngant(they were a mess),held them over a 5 gallon bucket,got them really squeky clean&took some smaller dings in the wood out,dont know if it will help with the gun oil as well but the heat/moisture from the steam didnt hurt the wood,let it sit for a few days before finishing and they came out real nice.mark

8. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Easy off is sodium hydroxide- I would not use it on a gun stock, nor would I sit by a wood burning stove with flammable alcohol. If you use a flammable material, use it in a well ventilated space, and not in the house or garage where it might ignite and burn your place down. Also, use gloves. Anything that removes oil from a stock will surely remove the oil from your skin, and possibly worse.

Good luck and be safe,
    Mike

9. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Whiting, click above, it has been used for years with success.

10. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

if you have a bag of common cement or can get a can full just stick inlet end in it for a week will suck oil out and not hurt wood.don't use plastic cement(water proof) Jon acetone after help ps works on dry oil soaked concrete drives too

11. JLW

JLW TS Member

I have never been able to get all the oil out and I have tried all the above except cement. I'd be concerned about the lye(?) in cement. I am not certain of the lye being in it, but it sure burns the heck out of your skin when finishing concrete.

Anyway, a warm environment will help but do not expect to get it all out and then when you refinish, coat the insides with a thinned solution of finsh to seal out any new oil.

BTW, throw out the WD40 if you use it and simply buy a name brand gun oil.-Jerald MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you use cement to remove oil out of gun stock