1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

removal of yellowjackets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Urbans, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Urbans

Urbans Member

Looking for some direction on how to rid myself of yellowjackets, I have located their entrance hole in the ground, just waiting until dark to deliever my course of action for their demise. Any suggestions besides dynamite and a flamethrower would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you, Ed Freise

2. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Definitely wait till after dark.

It may kill a little grass around the hole, but I would just pour about a quart of gas down the hole. Gas will kill the little bastards on contact.

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Cram a funnel in the hole and give them a gallon of petro death.

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

After dark, throw one or two cups of Coleman lantern gas in the hole, then follow it up with a quickly (and accurately!) thrown match. That should do the trick, and the firworks display is fun to watch!

Kiv-c

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Look in the phone book for Yellow Jacket removal. They want the venom to make vaccine out of. It's usually free and goes to a good cause. If you can't find a person in your area to do it, I agree with those above.

Ajax

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I would put the gas in my car and mix up a gallon of Sevin to put in the hole, then stomp the entrance shut.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

$2.88 can of Hornet and Wasp Killer (Menards). Apply liberally at direct contact range with the hole and then lay small board over it. They do not get along with that stuff at all. Good luck.

8. oz

oz Active Member

Hornet spray too easy?

9. B V

B V TS Member

A tablespoon of powdered Sevin insecticide down the hole an hour after sunset and you will not see them again.

10. MR870

MR870 Member

Easiest way to rid yellowJackets,take a highway flare light it and shove it in the entrance hole and a second in their exit hole.It will kill whole colony.
    No gas needed.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to use spray adhesive, no poison, no flames, they just all stick together. HMB

12. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

MR870 beat me to the road flare.

13. jwells

jwells Member

i have killed many nests in the ground and hanging in trees with sevin. put it in the hole and tomorrow you can dig it up and confirm the kill if you care to. it works where they are going up in eves and spouting also.

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Yes on the Hornet spray. It also kills ants in the ground.

15. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Shouldn't take more than a cup of gas down the hole, BUT place a bucket or something to keep them in the nest, with a heavy weight on the top (like a cinder block). Do it at night.

The wasp spray sounds good too - more enviro friendly.

K

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You have Ground Hornets. By mid to late August there will be 15,000 to 40,000 hornets in that underground nest. Good news is they only make one hole for in and out. What you need is:

1- 8" concrete block, or something similar

1-can foaming hornet spray

At about 4 to 5 am, while its still cool, and before the sun comes up. Load that hole up with the spray and put the block on top of it.

It's done you're good to go. Do this every year.

Wayne

17. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

7 1/2's 's or 8's ?

Full or Modified ?

Semi-auto, pump, single barrel or over/under?

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

1 can of aerosol carburetor cleaner and 2 feet of cannon fuse. how close to the house is this?

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Had them in the wall, ate their way through into my office. After the first battle inside with spray, I went and got some diazenon powder on the advice of my Orkin pal.

You put it in the entrance with a turkey baster (which you hide or toss) just puff it in there heavy.

They get it on their feet and bring it inside.

Never another problem. Can't get the powder in my area any more. Wish I had some.

HM

20. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

Just pour some gas and light a match. The fire does NOT get all the way down into the hole. But what it does is all the oxygen in the hole gets sucked into the fire. So you deprive them of oxygen and also the smoke kills them too.
    I have gotten rid of many nests this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.