1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removal of stripped recoil pad screw?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I need to remove a screw from the recoil pad on the butt stock of my Browning Gold and it seems the Phillips head on one of the screws is stripped. I can get one of the screws undone but not the other. What is the best way to get this out?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

With a LH twist drill bit! Start the bit slowly and let it walk the screw out.

ss

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try a flat bladed screw driver of the right size to just catch the edges of the phillips slot. If that doesn't work use a drill and an easy out bit. HMB

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

SS had a good suggestion. Another thing you can do is drill a shallow blind hole right in the middle of the screw head, tap in an extractor or "Easy Out" and simply back the screw out.

A screw stuck in a wooden buttstock is not that big a deal. Even if you snapped it off copletely and had to drill a huge hole to dig it out you could always plug it and you'd be fine.

On the other hand, one of my old knucklehead moves -- snapping a header screw off in a motorcycle engine right behind the frame rail -- now that's a problem! Aaahhhh!!!

-Gary

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

It turns out it wasn't stripped after all....I figured out I was not approaching the screw head at the correct angle.....Once I figured that out it came out without a hitch...

Thanks again for the input!

6. RAScott

RAScott Member

there is a product called grabit and it works great and good to keep around for just this situation. Bob S

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sometimes a dab of "valve grinding compound" will help keep the screwdriver from slipping. Good to know you got it "straightened out".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

butt pad screws stripped

removing stripped buttpad screws