1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Removal of a stick on soft comb

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience removing a stick on soft comb?

I installed a Meadow Industries Quik-Stik Soft Comb on a Remington 11/87 NP Sporting Clays shotgun about 5 years ago. The stock is like new and has a satin finish. The gun has been in storage for the past 4 years.

I now want to remove the stick on soft comb. I have heard that this can be done with lighter fluid and/or a blow dryer.

Before I try the removal, does anyone have any experience with this process?

Ed Ward

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Use WD-40 let it set over night . Put a little heat to it a it will come off .

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Lighter fluid or Goo Gone.

But no matter what you use, test it first to make sure it won't damage the particular finish on your gun.

4. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Never removed the brand you mention, but I have removed several of the self-adhesive Kick-Eez Sorbothane comb pads. They were on Browning SC guns with the glossy bowling pin finish. I used a hair dryer and went slowly and had no trouble at all, except for a some glue residue that had to be removed separately.

The Kick-Eez instructions made it clear that it was not meant to be used on guns that had an actual oil finish. I am not familiar with the Rem satin finish, but am assuming that it is actually a polyurethane based hard finish, in which case I think that there won't be a problem if you use the hair dryer and go slowly.

Good luck.

5. School Teacher

Thanks for the replies thus far.

The pad seems to be stuck on very tight and the adhesive is very dry. I can see a small amount of the adhesive near the pad where the pad may have receded over the years.

I am not going to try to remove the pad tonight as I think it’s a little too late to start a project tonight. I think that I will first try the hair dryer sometime tomorrow.

After that, I think that it is a good idea to try a little of the solvent, i.e., lighter fluid or WD-40, on an isolated spot before I apply the solvent to the adhesive near the edge of the pad.

Thanks for the replies,

Ed Ward

6. School Teacher

Sam:

Thanks for the good suggestion. After keeping the 11/87 NP Sporting Clays in storage for the past 4-5 years, I thought I might shoot it a little before I took the pad off. I hope to shoot it tomorrow at 16 yards.

My last assignment in the Army was as a command information officer in an Army Reserve division headquarters. We kept scrapbooks of all of the division's news items. As such, we used a lot of rubber cement. We used so much that I had to get to the bottom of why we were using 2 to 3 large jars a month for a 2 day drill. I had several reporters and photographers working for me who were great at their jobs and who had been in the news business for years. It turns out that you can sniff the stuff and get quite a buzz on. Well, I found some rubber cement that had an extract of horseradish in it and the consumption of rubber cement went way down.

I think that I will buy some and try it out.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-87 np sc

remove soft comb on shotgun

sticko n soft comb