1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remmemgton STS & Premier RUMORS !!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mountainsteve, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

According to the Remmington Corporate Hdqtrs in North Carolina and the ammunition production plant in Arkansas there is no truth to the rumors that they are stopping production of their high end shot shells. They did advise that no rebates would be offered but that the STS and Premiers shot shells were a big part of their business and they had no plans to discontinue them. Can't blame them for not offering the rebate since they have the best. You can by four flats of STS's, shoot them, reload them 7 or 8 times and still shoot 8 to 9 thousand shots per year.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Nothing wrong with Federals and they ARE offering a rebate!!

3. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

From what I understand Remington has no plans to stop production of their target shells. However, I do understand that they are looking at making money on them, not "giving" them away.

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I never expected Remington to "give away" anything. But, with their shot and primers, they seem to be trying to price themselves out of the reloading market. I'd like to use STS shot for my reloads and I'd like to shoot Nitro 27s for Handicap.

On the other hand, it seems foolish to me to pay $2.00 a box more for Remington Nitro 27s than for Federal Papers or AA SuperHandicaps.

I really don't think it makes a lot of difference what shell one uses for 16 yards or short handicap. Probably not for middle yardage, either, though many shooters may differ with me on that.

But, I think, for long yardage there is a difference. All of the top brands work well, Gold Medal, Papers, SuperHandicaps and Nitros.

So, for $2.00 a box less, I'll be shooting Federal and Winchester.

Bob

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There have been rumors in the Wholesale market most of the year that Remington is going to drop their target shotshell ammunition.

I, for one, hope these rumors are unfounded.

I prefer the small-bore STS hull, despite a shorter life in the reloading press. The larger case capacity, makes it easier to load to slightly lower pressures.

I don't care what anyone says, I do not want to load ANY shotshell to 12,000+ PSI.

High pressure factory loads use NEW brass, while I am using hulls that may have been fired in a grossly over sized chamber, and may be weakened during the resizing process.

6. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

My point was that instead of listening to rumors it is best to get the facts. Whatever anyone decides it is best to base your decision on facts. That is why I called Remmington direct. Also learned that they are now using STS primers in their less expensive target loads to eliminate the primer strike problems.

7. Landshark

Landshark Member

I sell components and ammo. My main supplier has not seen ANY Remington 20 ga STS #9 shells, Fig 8 wads, or RXP 20 wads for a LONG while. Remington must not want to sell any components or ammo is all I can guess.

Also, Remington just had a big price increase accross the board on components and ammo. Academy Sports in Houston TX once sold STS 28 and 410's for $9.99/box are now selling them for $12.99/box as of yesterday.

I can't get any Federal small pistol primers either.

Randy Wall
    Big Guy's Shooting Supply
    Houston

8. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

At two dollars a box, I will be switching to AA's after many years of using Remington. Besides, their TGT 12 and Figure 8 wads have too many petals tipping in, I was going to Down Range Wads anyway; I believe it is a better wad anyway. I probably have 20 thousand STS hulls to go through. Too bad they have priced themselves out of the market. The only advantage was their hull, nothing else.

Charlie

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Stopped in to Dick's today. Rem STS N27 $9.99-AA $8.99 Gun Club 100 packs $28.99. No thanks! Clyde

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"Also learned that they are now using STS primers in their less expensive target loads to eliminate the primer strike problems."

They've been using STS primers in 12ga Gun Clubs for years now. Wish they'd switch to STS primers in the 20ga gun clubs as well, a flat of them ate up the firing pins in my gun bad.

11. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Mountainsteve;

Might make sense if you reload, but I don't, so STS (which I have been buying religiously for 10 years) are off the plate as long as I can get AA's for $20 less a flat (rebate).

12. skeet_man

Just from me and my dad, Remingtons lost sales on 9 flats of 28ga (b/c of the rebate and their hulls suck) and 5-6 flats of 20ga (b/c of the rebate). I would prefer Rem in the 20, but I'm not willing to spend $20/flat more for them...

13. TjayE

TjayE Member

Up for Remmemmgtonn

14. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Yeah we all know Winchester and Federal sell junk shells for 20.00 a case cheaper.tic

15. LocoChunk

LocoChunk Member

im with BAD 303! other shells may be cheaper but arent as good of shell and are harder on your gun

16. skeet_man

Fed Gold Medal and Win AA are harder on your gun?

17. John55

John55 Active Member

To shoot new, I cannot tell any difference between the top line shells from any of the 3 major ammo companies, and I shoot a lot of them. For reloading, the STS is by far the best, IMO. But, for $20 per case more they can keep them. The Gold Medals or AAs will work just fine and still reload well enough for 3 loads or so.

18. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Thought this thread would get a lot of action. I agree with most of what is said. For reloading Remmington hulls are the best for getting the most reloads in my humble opinion. If you don't reload just shoot what works best for you and your gun. Point of the thread was that there is no truth to the rumors that the STS and Nitros are going away.

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have been reloading STS's for as long as they have been available. Back when Winchester still had the top reloading plastic shell (AA), I could pull as many of them as I wanted from the garbage cans, and the throwaway bins. Wish it would go back to the way it was. Even made Winchester change their shells to try and compete. We all know what happened with that.

As was stated, it is really a matter of whether you reload your new once fired hulls. If you get four more reloads out of the hulls you have made up the difference. You may not get that many, but if you do, you have the shells and hulls that you like.

Problem is that the empty, once fired STS hulls price is going to go up because of this.

20. DONNE

DONNE Member

"Problem is that the empty, once fired STS hulls price is going to go up because of this."

Yeah , I hope so! I've got a barn full of them. May just help me into my "Retirement Years". ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington sts rumors