1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reminton Sparton

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave P, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I haven't seen any talk about this shotgun. Does anyone own one? What's your experience? Quality, reliability, long term use, etc?

2. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

The "Sparton" is a line of guns and not a particular gun. They are Russian imports made by Baikal. Maybe a search for baikal performance would yeild the info. you want.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Spartan or Sparton? I aint never heard of Sparton but Spartan is a brand/line of guns that Remington is importing.

I have thought on more than a few occasions to snag one and give it a whirl but have yet to do so. If I were though I would go for the SPR310S model with the 29.5" ported barrel set up more for shooting sports than a field gun.

Many will scream at the quality of the gun because of the low price of it but the question to ask is what are they exactly basing there opinion on. Have they owned own? Have they shot one? Have they actually touched one? Have they even seen one other than a picture ... basicly what are they basing there opinion on is what you must ask yourself and them.

When the Spartan line was first introduced they were a rough looking gun and they did have some early reliability problems from what various people have said. I do know that beginning sometime in 2006 I noticed some Spartan guns that actually started having Remington on the receiver along with the Spartan name. I was told by one dealer that Remington was finally at the point that they were now happy that the issues they had with the earlier releases of the guns had been corrected and were ready to begin having them as part of the Remington line of weapons.

There are many bang for the buck guns out there and in the price range of the Remington Spartan line there is no better bang for the buck in that range ... well there is the new Mossberg O/U's but I have yet to really look at them.

4. tachyon

tachyon Member

I have an SPR-100, single barrel sporting model with screw in chokes and the walnut stock. I teach trap to about 40-50 high school students a year. The girls (I teach in an all girls school) typically have never held a gun before and do not have one. I (and some other parents) provide 10-15 guns for them to shoot.

The good: We put about 2,000 rounds through the gun without incident. I have read elsewhere that their reliability is questionable but determining their rate of failure against other brands is not published by anyone.

The bad: The gun is light (6.5 lbs) and most experienced shooters who tried it thought it was whippy. There was also consensus that the recoil was much more noticable than a typical trap gun (Weight and balance the probably culprit). The original "full" choke provided patterned more like a modified choke. I replaced the factory choke with an extended full choke and the pattern improved. Since a lot of the girls have shorter arms we decided to shorten the length of pull to about 13.5 inches.

The stock bolt hole was very far off center and drilled at an interesting angle. To help with the weight I drilled a hole in the stock and epoxied a lead cylinder in the hole. We also added a clamp on weight in front of the forearm. That helped with the recoil and with the balance.

My suggestion would be that if you are going to shoot trap, save your money and start with a remington 8/70 or 1100, better gun, better made, all around better choice.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have three of them - all SxS's (Baikal's - same as Spartan). Use them for Cowboy Action Shooting.

I got some strange looks one time shooting Sporting Clays with my 18" barreled gun. TEE-HEE-HEE

The triggers suck. The guns are built out of tough steel - far better than the Stoegers.

I would not recommend them as Trap guns. Too many good used guns out there waiting for new trap shooters.

Don

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

and just which model do you have Skip and from what production run is it from? Current production or there first try at them or from the second try or ... well is your opinion based on the current production or past productions? That also does make a big difference.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Skip ... I have been looking at them and debating on them since they were first introduced. I have held many of them in my hands (all models from the filed guns, side by sides, single shots and the overunder shotguns and rifle/shot-shell models) but have never pulled a trigger on them. I have spoken with more than few owners and dealers of them and base my opinions on what they have all told me and from what people have told me and from what I have seen in the changes for the better overall quality, both in fit and finish of the weapons.

You though have still not even answered how long you have owned yours and what model you own or exactly why you purchased it in the first place. I would suspect that since it seems you want to bully me since you actually own one and I do not that you have only a field grade model and you have owned it for a couple of years thus having it be one of the early production models which has since had things changed to improve the gun more to Remington's wishes and standards since there name is now more prominently on the gun and that you feel that your opinion is more highly regarded because ... well ... because you think it is.

The Spartan line of guns is a decent bang for the buck line of guns. If you think your going to get the fit and finish of any gun that is 4 or 5 times the price your just nuts. If you think your going to get the lifetime performance out of it that you would get from a gun that is 4 or 5 times the price your just nuts. If you think that a Spartan will not break clays like a gun that is 4 or 5 times the price your just nuts.

Spartans will break clays like all the expensive guns ... and it will do it to the best of your abilities. What it wont do though is survive the long haul unless your a weekend or two a month enthusiast who just cannot see spending 4 or 5 times the price. You do get what you pay for but if your looking for a Perrazi or Krieghoff gun with a Spartan price than your just nuts ...

8. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Lumper: I have also handled and fired one of these Spartains. No, I don't own one but between the two, the Spartain and the Mossy o/u I would take the Mossy over the Spartain and use it in a whole lot of Trap shooting. It just seems as though the Mossy is harder in all aspects of the two guns. But for all around shooting Nothing would turn me against my Rem. 870 Wingmaster 12. So He owns one, even though he didn't suggest what it was exactly except it is a Spartain o/u it still gives him the right to let his knowledge be known about it. It looks as though he dosen't do much Trap shootin anyway so what good does it do to browbeat him. He stated he does Cowboy shooting in the first place. Tke what he says and go from there or add it to the knowledge you have gained from the gun even though you don't own one. My next gun is going to be a Remington 1100. Yes I have owned one of these before and shot them many times and love the recoil. I also had an 870 I shot a lot. I mean a lot aproximately 42,000 rounds through it and never had it been to a Gunsmithy. So what does that tell ya. I have more upkeep work with the 1100 than the 870 but I have another 870 now again. Just want to get back to as close to the old way I was shooting, although I have to consider I now have to shoot from a wheel chair. I'll shoot em both for different types of shooting. So to me the Spartain is ok for the field and not for the hard Trap or Skeet ranges. The Mossy is to a certain point and that is not 42,000 rounds worth either. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Dave P,

Save your money and get a Remington 870 or 1100 like Bruce (tachyone) mentioned above.

While the others will debate the quality of the Spartan, one thing is for sure. The Remington guns are proven performers for a reasonable cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.