1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reminton rxp12 wads load data in sts hulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Recently recieved some rxp12 power piston wads by remington. Useing Clays powder CCI primers and STS hulls. I do not find any load data for the 1 1/8 rxp wads? Also got some gray 1 1/8 American wads? My standard 1 1/8 load was CCI primer STS hull fig 8 wad and 17g clays. On the slow side but I have come to like the 1000 to 1145 fps range from 16.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Use the Figure eight wad data.

Those are old wads...make sure that they haven't become brittle with age.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

all the wads feel as good as the newest tgt I have. thank you

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

RXP12 wads are still made and available.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

My personal opinion is that too much has been made of the straight-walled/tapered hull & wad issue. That being said, I will note that it's my experience that the RXP12 wad is not very good in straight-walled cases. However, with the RXP wad I suspect it is as much a function of its tiny OP skirt as its taper; or the combination of taper and tiny OP skirt.

6. RickA

RickA Member

maclellan1911,
    Here you go try this one Pg 161 of Lymans 5th ed ***Not CCI primers but you could change out the primers to use the wads up***
    17gr Clays Rem209P RXP12 wad @ 1167 fps and 10400 psi
    I have been told (though never tried it ) that the Fig8 and RXP12 can be used the same (through extropalation or however its spelled LOL )
    I don't use them in the Rem hulls but absolutely love them for the Win AAHS hulls with about 19-19.5 gr of Red dot
    RickA

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Looking at the data available on the Hodgdon site, your load looks like it might work OK with the RXP wad if you are using the CCI 209 primer. I wouldn't increase the powder charge or start swapping primers. Some loads show over 10K in pressure, with your powder charge weight and primer. I would look at all of the loads for all of the wads with these primers and your charge weight and consider the highest pressure listed as a guide. That would probably keep you out of trouble, pressure wise.

There is a lot of data for these wads from some years ago. If you come accross any using the "RXP" hull, it is similar to the STS and the dimentions are almost/exactly the same.

The RXP wad is one of the "Power Piston" series. They are not the best patterning wad out there, but they were state of the art some years ago. I loaded lots of them with Red Dot, 700X, Green Dot, and a few other powders. They work alright in the tapered hulls they were intended for. I also have not used any in the new style AA hulls. They worked fine in the old one piece AA hulls. If they are part number 29930 and Green, they are old. If they are white with a different part number (24338), they are newer. I still have some that are about 30 years old and they work just fine. They are not brittle and the patterns are as expected.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I loaded up 25 of them, staying with fig 8s and tgt 12s

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try AA wads-much better!!

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I got for nothing, thought I would load up for practice. The crimp was not so good and did not want to play with it to much. I figured if I could get away with just adjusting the crimp cam I would load the 250 up and end it. No such luck. I will use these for some hunting loads on a 600jr I need to fix up a little.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"RXP wads are still used in new Gun Club shells."

Close, but not exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

load data rxp wad

reloading data remington rxp
remington rxp loading data
remington rxp wad loading data

remington wads reloading data