1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reminton 770 trigger adjustment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Diesel Smoke, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Now before I begin, PLEASE spare me the "Get rid of that gun" or "you could have bought (name of a different rifle here) for x amount" I know all of this already. Most folks hate these guns. But please know, I bought this gun, scoped, with a box of ammo for $100, from a good friend of mine.

The gun is a Remington 770 in 30-06
    I fixed the bolt sticking somewhat, to where it's at least manageable, but the trigger is horrible. I'm noticed that it has the same adjustment screws as a 700 rem. From what I understand though, there have been problems with the trigger after the sear has been tinkered with, whether it's going off from a slight bump or when you flip the safety off. Is it possible to improve the trigger some without having to mess with the sear? I'm not to worried about having some trigger creep, but creep + HEAVY pull weight= terrible time shooting.

Thanks guys
    Smokey

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Most of Rem trigger are sealed so YOU CAN'T ADJUST THEM. Legal reasons for them so you can't sue them. The best thing you can do is take it to a gunsmith and have them put a new trigger in it. A trigger that is say a benchrest trigger or a adjustable trigger that you want. That is what I would do. Let us know what you do and how it comes out.

3. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

I have found out that you can in fact adjust them, all it takes is scraping the thread lock/epoxy/ whatever it is they use, and the three screws will move. I managed to get some of the creep out of the trigger was well as the grittiness when you first started squeezing. I also went from around 7# pull to a little over three pounds (heard it was safer to keep it above 2.5-3. I'm making this my little project rifle, as I don't have much money invested in it. So far I have free floated the barrel, adjusted the trigger, and painted it with duplicolor camo paints (will post a few pictures later).

Next thing to address is reducing recoil. I was thinking about an old mercury recoil reducer I have, and maybe adding some lead shot in the pockets of the forearm with epoxy to keep it from rattling. Advice there would be appreciated.

Smokey

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Whatever amount of weight you add to the forearm add the same amount to the butt of the stock. This will keep the balance of the gun right. HMB

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Here's your instructions.

Make sure the trigger and bolt are clean, I had a problem with one that needed to have the bolt disassembled and cleaned.

You can get a factory Remmy trigger down to a pound and a half if you know the sequence of adjustment.

Savage 3 screw triggers can be made very nice also.

HM

6. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

thanks hmb and halfmile, those are actually the instructions I followed. I'm much happier with the trigger pull now.

Here it was when I got it

[​IMG]

Here's after I painted it

[​IMG]

I liked it so much I think my .308 and Winchester 1300 turkey gun are getting similar treatment.

Smokey

7. twotimer

twotimer Member

Diesel, I have had good luck using similar instructions adjusting those triggers. I would agree with keeping above a 2 lb. pull. I have had them fire just when taking the safety off BELOW 2 lbs. I have done a few things to one of those inexpensive rifles in 30-06 and it shoots as well as my custom Hart rifle which has a scope on it that costs at least 4 times the 30-06! Mike

8. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Yeah I noticed if I got this one down around 2# or less, it would set the trigger off by just closing the bolt. I set it to 3#, bumped it around pretty good, slammed the bolt shut several times, and even put slight pressure on the trigger while flipping the safety off and had no problems at all. Hope I can get some spare time soon and go out to shoot it (Overtime working 12 hr nights is a killer).

Smokey

Search tags for this page
770 trigger adjustment
can you adjust the trigger on a remington 770
how to adjust the trigger on a remington 770

remington 770 trigger

remington 770 trigger adjustment

remington 770 trigger job
remington 770 trigger problems
trigger adjustment remington 770