1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reminton 3200 hinge adjustment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomjhunt, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomjhunt

tomjhunt TS Member

I have a Remington 3200 that breaks open pretty easy and swings a little too much to make it easy to load the bottom barrel. I am told that there is a forearm adjustment to make the action a little tighter and the gun will stay open and more readily able to load the bottom barrel. Was wondering if anyone knew how to make that adjustment or if there was an online website that described how to make it a wee bit tighter? Thanks, Tom

2. 333t

333t Member

The procedure for tightening up the hinge mechanism is covered in the owner's manual. It is a pretty simple adjustment. I no longer have a 3200 so don't have the manual but reproductions are routinely available on eBay and some of the gun websites like Gunbroker.

Phil

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have the original owners manual that came with the 3200 I purchased in 1973. There are no instructions included on how to tighten the hinge, in the Manual I have.

4. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Laibs gunsmithing, 3200 experts. (320)796-2686

5. 333t

333t Member

I found the instructions and an illustration in one of my old gun books. Will try to copy it.

Phil

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

When you look in the forend you will see a nut that takes a modified screwdriver.You need to loosen this nut to remove the forend latch cover. You will then see a nut that is called adjuster lock nut you need to adjust this to tighten or loosen up the forend iron. Try the iron on the reciever to get the feel your looking for. When your satisfied replace wood and latch cover and you should be good to go. Hope this helps..

7. 333t

333t Member

Here is the info:

333t_2008_0303.jpg

8. 333t

333t Member

Just to clarify a little. The forend iron is taken out of the forend wood. The iron is then mounted to the gun and the adjustments are made. When finished and the nut retightened, the forend iron is taken off the gun and the wood reinstalled.

Another tip, there is an angled screw toward the front of the forend iron. Tightening this screw will draw the wood and iron together at the rear of the forend. (the other mounting screws need to be loosened a little) Sometimes you see a gap at the rear and this is how to correct it. If the gap is ignored, it can contribute to forend cracking.

Phil

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Isn't this site amazing?

Although I don't have a 3200, but I still want to thank you for your help to our fellow shooters.

10. tomjhunt

tomjhunt TS Member

Thanks Grunt and Phil, I will give this a shot and see how it goes, I have one too tight and one a little too loose so would be great to be able to get that fixed. Also have a friend who is suffering from the gap between the wood and the metal, so he is going to appreciate it too. Steve W. is right, the website and always someone willing to share thier experience and expertise is wonderful!

Thanks guys, Tom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to tighten a remington 3200 action
remington 3200 loose hihge

3200 remington loose hinge

adjust action remington 3200
opens easy remington 3200
remington 3200 adjustments

remington 3200 instructions

remington 3200 receiver hinge