1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reminton 32 rim fire?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK Guys!
    I've just come into a Remington #4 rolling block 32 rimfire, do you know are they 32 short? long? extra long? I would like to get at least one round to display with the gun . Thanks, Butch H- Sorry I missed the G in Remington

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

When I was kid 50 years ago I bought a 32 rimfire revolver from an old guy for $2. It was nickle plated and in poor shape. At that time you could still buy ammo for it. It would keyhole bullets at 10 feet.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Butch,

You should be able to measure the depth of the chamber with a piece or wire or toothpick. This will give you the case dimension (length) and you can go from there. Old Western Scrounger should be able to help you out with ammo.

ss

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Search this site,,your not going to like the price,,,,,,,

5. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Your gun should be chambered for both short and long cartridges. I may have some lose ammo laying around I will look later. How ever I do know other collectors that have it.

6. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Should chamber 32 long and shoot either long or short. I have 3 boxes of Navy Arms 32 short rf. Take $40 a box plus shipping or $100 for all three. Guessing about $10 to ship UPS.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

My father in law had a derringer in that caliber or 44 rimfire (dont recall) and I dont think he realized it wouldnt fire centerfire

He traded it for a cheap 22

Now that gun was used by a great uncle of his- he killed someone in a chicago bar with it- and moved out west as a result

What a shame some family history like that got sold

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Lobo, check your PM?

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I was looking for 22 winchester auto ammo a couple days ago for a customer. the old western scrounger had some...limit one round per customer for .75 each.

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Butch, I sold my 1885 Winchester in 32 Long R.F. several years ago and still have some shells. Let me know if you can't come up with one and I'll send you one.

Steve

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    short shucker, quote: <i>"You should be able to measure the depth of the chamber with a piece or wire or toothpick. This will give you the case dimension (length) and you can go from there. Old Western Scrounger should be able to help you out with ammo.</i>

Actually, no, trying to determine the length of the shell by checking for the step at the case mouth does not work with these particular cartridges.

.32 rimfires use heel based bullets. For modern cartridges, the bullet diameter is the same as the INSIDE of the case mouth. This provides a step in the chamber you can measure to. Many older cartridges, especially rimfires, use heel based bullets, and the bullet diameter is the came as the OUTSIDE of the case. There is no step in the chamber to measure length by. There are lands, but they'd be hard to feel.

Likely your Rolling Block will chamber the longer .32 Long rimfire cartridge. However, if the bore is in good condition, you may find the shorts work better. This is because the shorts have a bullet diameter of .312", for use in a .309" bore. Longs use to as well. But when the centerfire vesion came out, which used a conventional bullet, the bullet diameter was reduced to a nominal .299" to .300". This is too much of a difference for any kind of accuracy, and owners of the guns chambered for Longs usually find the Shorts are more accurate.

But that also brings up another issue. The gun needs to be checked to make sure it doesn't have a centerfire barrel installed on a rimfire action. This would be great from the standpoint of the smaller diameter Long rimfire bullets, but for the larger diameter Short rimfire bullets, or Long rimfires using the larger diameter bullet, this could be trouble. A gunsmith can check the bore to determine exactly what it is. And again this assumes the bore is decent enough to be shot.

Another topic that comes up is whether these guns can be converted to centerfire. Again, the issue is bullet diameter. Marlin had convertible lever guns in .23 rimfire/.32 centerfire, that had two different firing pins (it's a myth that the pin could be flipped over). This gun had the smaller diameter barrel for the centerfire bullet, and this is why the Long rimfire had the smaller bullet as well, as many makers had convertible breechblocks or extra breechblocks. Here's the rub... if the larger diameter barrel is converted to centerfire, the cartridges would have to use the larger diameter heel based bullets to get any accuracy. The smaller bullets intended for the .32 centerfire would be too small in diameter and the accuracy would be, well, crap.

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Butch, did the shell ever arrive? Sent it Monday. Steve

13. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

A cousin of mine has a .41 Rimfire single-shot pistol that had been our grandfather's. Maybe a dozen years ago he bought some brass cartridge cases that had been made with I believe an offset primer hole, such that you could prime them with a centerfire primer, fire them, then reload them. He cast his own bullets. So if someone who makes such cases could be found, that may be a solution to shooting this gun? Phil E

14. bayonne427

bayonne427 TS Member

Hi Lobo,

If you still have the 32 rimfire ammo, I'd be interested in buying it. Thanks, Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.