1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REMINGTON WINGMASTER 870 TB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smok'n Joe, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

On a recent visit to Cabelas I happened upon a REMINGTON 870 TB 12 guage with a 30" fixed full barrel. Very nice wood and excellent overall condition. The gun does not appear to have had much more than a flat of shells fired through it and it appeared to be reasonably priced...so it followed me home.

I've owned a dozen REMINGTON 1100s and still have a couple pristine commemorative models in my collection that I enjoy shooting on occassion, but this is my first 870. I will contact REMINGTON this week to determine the date of manufacture and I plan on shooting it Wednesday evening for the first time.

My question to REMINGTON experts and aficionados on this site is what is so special about these OLD pump trap guns?

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Usually tightly choked and really SMOKE targets. I had a couple of them years ago. They of course kick a bit more than the gas operated 1100's do. They feel the same to me as far as handling and pointing. I think they are as durable a gun as you can buy today as well. I have to admit I love my Remington's though. I still have a 3 1/2 " supermag I hunt geese and ducks with. It has always performed flawlessly.

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I still shoot my original 1972 TB, mostly original, that is. I had to perform a heart transplant and replace the original receiver last year when the first one cracked. I don't feel too bad as it was in weekly use from the beginning and was approaching somewhere around a third of a million rounds.

With my standard AA type reloads and 7 1/2s it leaves smoke balls in the sky if I center the bird. 30" full. I had a slump a few years back and bought a mod trap barrel and from sixteen yards to twenty it is fine but I still prefer the choke for smoke full.

Recently inherited my brother's TC of the same vintage but the MC stock doesn't fit me. Found a straight TC about 10,000 off of it in serial and it has a barrel that i feel is the twin of my TB's.

They shoot, they last, and they're not exhorbitantly expensive. Best starter gun you can buy.

BTW, it was my only shotgun way back and I killed ducks, pheasant and deer with it also. I wish I had had a bore gauge when I started so I could see if the choke has changed after those hundreds of thousands of rounds through it.

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Well it's not as old as I thought...Remington historian told me that it was
    made in 1975. He also verified it is a WINGMASTER TB and shipped with a 30"
    fixed full choke barrel. Owners manual is on the way.

Any collector value or is this going to be a shooter?

5. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I have won lots of money this last target year with my 76 year model, crushes targets when I do my part.

Rick

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

How about all you 870 TB fans post pictures...I'll do the same after I shoot it tomorrow.

7. RJ

RJ TS Member

Haven't read all the threads on this subject. One thing I'd like to mention is even if you'r shooting light trap loads be ready for a kick. They do have a tendancy to let ya know there there. But, in do time after shooting it for awhile you don't even hardly know it's there. This is my second one and I bought it used but the first one was new back in 1971. The one I have now was built in 71 also. The nice thing about them is when they have been shot for as many years as I had shot my first one, FYI, over 42,000 rounds through, they get smother and smother. It got so smothe that it took a little motion to pump it. It was as if it knew what to do on it's own I just had to finish the operation. My brotherinlaw bought one of those slick Sears 20 gage semi autos. It was very fast when shot and ejecting. This is late 70's. After a couple months he and I went out and had a speed contest with our two guns. I told him I believed my 870 could beat his in shooting and ejecting with three shells loaded in the chambers. He beat me just by a minute second. a little over a tenth but don't remember exactly what the time difference was. Thy get better the more you shoot them. The one I have now does not have as many rounds through it as my first one did but it's on it's way to getting smother and smother. That is if I would leave the 1100's alone that I have and shoot the 870 more. Which I have intentions of doing. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

8. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

All packed up and ready to leave for the club! It's kind of silly, but I've never owned an 870 Wingmaster TB and I'm as excited as I was before I debuted my Perazzi TMS. This is going to be a REMINGTON MOMENT...

9. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Put weight in the magazine tube and in the stock.

The more weight you have will absorb the kick better.

10. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

When my good buddy C.E. told me he was NOT happy with his newly acquired tricked out Perazzi TMS and was considering reverting back to his 870 "duck gun" it got me thinking. One of the all time best shooters at our club also shoots an 870. AveragEd has several and it seems like there is a near CULT like devotion to these old fashion pump guns that have been around forever and sold for less than the price of a couple cases of AAs not so very long ago.

They're supposed to kick your teeth out...even with light loads. They're inexpensive and plentiful. They're supposed to be a BEGINNER gun and can be had in nice used condition with decent wood for a song and everyone seems to have or had one or three in their shooting careers, except me.

As stated in my earlier post, I just picked up my first just out of curiosity.
    For lack of time and anything more appropriate, I put a duck taped 5" section of crow bar in the stock bolt cavity and another 3" section in the magazine tube to get the weight of the gun up to about 9 pounds. Packed it up and went off to shoot last night with a case of RIO light #8 1oz shells. I was bound and determined to make last night a REMINGTON moment...so I packed an old faithful 1100 to take along...just in case.

Well, I showed it around when I arrived at the club and got more than my fair share of controvery and ridicule, thanks Tom! I didn't expect much and I was simply looking forward to having some no pressure fun with my new toy.

I signed up for a round of singles and the squad was assigned to field five, right in front of our shooters shack and in full view of the membership. It was a perfect night for shooting...virtually no wind, cool and comfortable and the targets were set perfectly. I started on Station Four and broke my first five targets with authority. Repeated on Station Five and thought to myself, wouldn't it be great to run a straight with this old 1975 production year pump gun. Broke a hard left on station one and my confidence began to build. It was the quality of the breaks that really pleased me.

I don't know if it was the way the gun fit me, the light loads, the crow bar wieghts or simply the fact that I had never shot the gun before, but it DID NOT KICK...not even as much as my beloved 1100! I was amazed and proceeded to effortlessly run that first round and 3 stations of a second round before giving up a hard right target from station five.

Then, just for grins and giggles, I shot a solo round from 25 yards back with the same light loads. I was simply amazed by the reach and consistency of this "inexpensive" old beginner 870 TB. Shooting the killer Annies with it last night might have been a stretch, but I'm seriously considering shooting this Sunday's league with my "new" old friend.

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

An 870 TB was my first trap gun, and I still have it. I also have a small scar on my right cheek, about the size of a dime, where it rubbed me raw over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 tb trap

remington 870 tb

remington 870 tb trap

remington 870 tb value
remington 870 tb wingmaster
remington 870 tb wingmaster value

remington 870 wingmaster tb

remington 870tb