1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington... What's the chance of this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooter R, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Remington... What

Last Sunday (six days ago), I was cleaning my 2 year old 1100 when I notice a large crack at the base of the magazine tube, (which is silver soldered to the reciever). I called Remington on Monday and asked about any warranty. The guy said they needed to see the reciever to make a decision. He e-mailed me a prepaid UPS shipping label, and I dropped it off at UPS on Tuesday.

On Friday I recieved an e-mail stating that they recieved the part. This morning I recieved an e-mail that a UPS tracking number has been created and they are shipping me "something". If you were at Vegas would you be betting at the "New Part Window", or at the "Not Under Warranty" window?

I'm still amazed this happened so fast, I wasn't expecting any action for at least a month or so. For the record... I am hopeful.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Maybe you got an early christmas present.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm thinking you got a new tube, otherwise they would have quoted you a repair price while they had it.

Wayne

4. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

It's probably not just a new tube, as it's silver soldered to the reciever, and from what I've heard, NOT a repairable part. As in a trashed reciever. I did mention to them that the gun was not safe to shoot, as the barrel could fly off!

If that's the case it would then have to be a whole new reciever. I've got my doubts wether they'd send one so soon. Although the e-mail said "adult signature" required, they would still do that if they sent the old one back.

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

they can not send a new receiver unless it has the same serial number. if it has a new number i believe it has to go to an ffl dealer?? not sure but that may be the case. they probably repaired it.

6. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

This is quick turn-a-round but my bet they are sending you a new receiver and magazine tube. I had the same issue with an Remington 1100 "Left Hand" 12 gauge
    and they set me a brand new receiver. I was shocked as Remington has not made left hand receivers in years.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They probably just replaced the tube, re brazing a joint is easy to do, done thousands of them

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The gun does not need the same serial number. Remington is the manufacturer and will tie the new number to the old number and record it as such. The firearm owner will not need to fill out a 4473.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The barrel can't fly off, sorry. The lug on the bolt holds it in while the gun is in battery.

I am interested in this since I have one that needs similar work. Can I get an address to ship to, please?

HM

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Pretty simple to replace the mag tube if you have the right jig (which remington does) and know how to braze (which remington does).

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Sounds like Browning should take lessons from Remington on customer relations...LOL

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd guess a new receiver is on the way? Not enough time to re-work and reblue new tube?

Hap

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Probably repaired, but proof will be in the pudding when it shows up.

Remington used to repair these. Be interesting to see if they are still repaired or are replaced. If replaced, that brings up the question about what do they do for left hand or for receiver markings, like "TRAP" or "SKEET"?

14. willing

willing Member

I have a 11-87(15-29 yr) on which the mag tube came loose. I called and they gave me a RMA
    and I sent them the receiver and tube. A week later they sent me info on repair. The tube was soldered free and the receiver was to be reblued 50.00.
    I thought that was a great deal. The whole thing took less than a month. The receiver looks like new,the work was done at Ilion,NY

Bill

15. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

When Remington replaced my left hand receiver they restamped it "Trap" and gave the receiver a new serial number.

Scoutmaster

16. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

halfmile, not to argue, but consider this... a shot is fired, the wad clears the gas ports, the bolt unlocks like it is designed to do, and then the weakened mag tube breaks free because there is still pressure in the barrel. I'm thinking the barrel could fly off. Correct me if I'm wrong.

halfmile, I called Remington at their Customer Services / Parts and Service number which is: 1-800-243-9700. After I explained the problem the tech said he would e-mail me a UPS prepaid return sticker, and to send the reciever to that address.

As to a repair... if I sent it to them on Tuesday, they probably did get it on Friday, but possibly on Thursday. It just dosen't seem likely they would unbraze the old one, and rebraze a new one on in that amount of time. The gun started out as a Sporting 12 model which has the nickled reciever with some gold on the left side so it probably would not need any refinishing. I use a Jack West / Ken Ruckers stock on it and it works very well for Trap.

17. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

It's more expensive to make, I'm sure, but the Super X-1 screw in tube locked in with red Loctite is sure easier to replace! A minute or two with a heat gun and it turns right out.

18. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I think Remington is a stand up company, and I suspect you'll have a new receiver & mag tube shortly. Place my bet on "New Receiver."

19. guthooked

guthooked Member

I'm guessing your old receiver and a bill for looking at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.