1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LMac, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LMac

LMac TS Member

I recently opened up a Rem. game load, 1 oz. 1290 fps. and would like to know if any of you guys happen to know what wad they used on this shell. The shot cup on it was as large as a 11/8 cup, it was taller than an 11/8 oz wad and the pedals were tied together. I haven't seen all of Remington wads so would like to find out what this one is so I can buy some. Any help would be appreciated.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Was it white or light green?

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

sounds like a TGT-12S, the standard Remington wad for 1 ounce loads in Remington shells. great wad.

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I just opened a Remington All-Purpose 1 oz 1290 fps load and found that it uses the same white wad that's used in the Gun Club 1 1/8 oz loads. It's a white 4-petal stitched wad and I think Renington calls it a "Power Piston" wad. It has 6 oval holes through the crush section...the three on top are pure ovals while the three on the bottom look kinda like distorted figure 8s. It's actually a 1 1/8 oz wad but it's too tall for the powder charge and the crimp captures and turns the lip of the shot cup.

Mike

5. LMac

LMac TS Member

It was white and has six identical oval holes below the shot cup.

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I've never seen that wad for sale anywhere so it must be a propriatery wad that Remington produces for a variety of shells. The wad that came out of my shell had creases along the edges of the three holes above the powder cup; the pair of creases on each side point toward the center of the wad.

Mike

7. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

The information printed on the box of Gun Club shells shows the wad is called Power Piston. StS and Nitro 27 shells have Fig.8 wads. I have never seen the Power Piston sold on the open market. I use Fig.8, and Claybuster replacement wad for Fig.8 wads for all Remington hulls ( STS, Gun Club, Nitro27, and Sureshot 8 point)both wads work great.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Nitro 27's have the TGT12s wad not the Figure 8. Jeff

9. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

Power pistons are readily avaiable at Sportsmans Warehouse, Recobs etc.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The components used in Gun Glub loads are not consistent. You may well find TGT-12, Fig8 or Power Piston wads in various batches. Most usual is the Power Piston. If a batch of powder arrives that is more dense than typical, Remington may adjust the length of the hull or substitute a wad. The idea is to get stuff to fit correctly without a major modification.

You can buy the 1 1/8oz Power Piston wad for reloading, but not the special Power Piston wad used for their 24g bunker loads. For 1 1/8oz loads in Remington hulls, use the TGT-12 for very dense powders (as advised above), Fig8 for normal bulk powders such as Red Dot, Clays, Green Dot, etc., and Power Piston wads for bulky powders or large charges.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's most likely a "Power Piston" wad and is still available as far as I know. They are similar to the old RXP wads in construction. They might have a designation of something like the R12L or R12H, depending on the payload size.

12. LMac

LMac TS Member

Thanks for the info, but I don't think the wad I am talking about is available to the public as far as I can tell. Not sure about the R12L and R12H but it definately isn't any of the other remington wads. Thanks again. Lonnie

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Lonnie,

These wads should still be available from Remington, as they have been for a number of years. Check the link above and look at what they have available for sporting loads. The R12L or R12H should be the ones used in the loads you mentioned. You can contact Remington to confirm this, but the ones I have here match well to some pulled from factory loads. The packages are marked "Power Piston" and have the corresponding part numbers listed in the link.

14. LMac

LMac TS Member

MacV and Quack Shot

I cut a Gun Club open last night and it is the same wad that come out of the game load. You guys are right but just not sure of the number for this wad. It has to be the R12L or R12H.

Anyway, the reason for my questions is I have all of these 11/8 oz wads and would like to use them for 1oz loads. Just don't know what the pressures would be like.

Another question I have is that I think the shot should be in the shot cup and not over the top of it. Now my Mec loader has always put the shot a little over the top of the shot cup and it is actually loading light on shot and powder which is normal for Mec loaders I think. So I was wondering if it would be a problem useing the 11/8 wads for 1oz loads. Thanks Lonnie

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That stuff has been around for years. There were about 5 different sizes. The only thing I found was I didn't like the R12L as the petals were pretty short.

I use a shorter version for stiff hunting loads, SP12, and I had some RXP which were the normal 1 & 1/8 oz wad.

If it fits you can use it. If you need data, email me.

HM

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Lonnie

I believe that if the shot is just over the shot cup as it is loaded in the hull, the setback on firing and expansion to the bore during firing will locate the shot entirely in the cup. I have not seen ANY evidence of lead in my bores, and many of my loads will have the shot over the cup when loaded. I would be careful about swapping wads around at some of the higher pressures. There can be enough of a difference to put a load over the maximum, if you are already close. It can also go the other way too, but I'd look for some reliable data. Many of the powder companies can advise you on how to proceed.

My experience with using a 1 1/8 oz wad with a 1 oz load is that the crimps may have a tendency to be dished in. It may require a bulky powder to get a decent crimp.

When you are loading a bit light on the weight of the shot, it's usually because harder shot is less dense than softer shot. It would be the same volume, but since the material is less dense, your payload will be less for a given volume. As far as powder bushings go, the charts are only a guide for a starting point. You MUST weigh your charges and select the right bushing that puts you near the desired charge weights. Some people use adjustable charge bars and swear by them. Some people have tried them and swear AT them. I have, but don't use one and prefer to use the bushings.

The 29922/R12L is for 1oz loads. The 29924/R12H is for 1 1/8 oz loads.

17. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Personnally I prefer the 29930/RXP wad for 1 1/8 as they pattern great. RG

18. LMac

LMac TS Member

Thanks again for the info. I think I am learning more all the time. LOL If they would just reduce prices on this stuff a man wouldn't have to do all this experimenting. I do appreciate your help. Lonnie

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

BLKLAB

You must have some older RXP wads. The 29930 is now 24338 according to the info given by Remington. I have a good supply of the older 29930 RXP wads. They are green and probably more than 30 years old. They still work well for me in the old RXP hulls too! I seem to get a few more pellets in the circle with the Figure 8, but that old RXP wad is hard to beat.

One bag of wads is marked $1.49 for a bag of 250. They were purchased at retail a number of years back when I needed a few in a hurry. I'd love to get some at that price today, even though that price was high back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rem r12h

remington r12h wads

remington r12h wads loading data

remington r12l wads

remington sp12 wad pattern

remington sp12 wads

remington wads

substitute r 12l wad for r12h