1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remington using dheddite primer?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Lately on the remington black 1oz game loads, I have been noticing that they are using a primer that looks exactly like a cheddite, and I occasionally even get a burn through like with a cheddite. Is remington using cheddites to keep the cost of the game loads down?

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

jbmOU

It could very well be the case. I have seen the silver colored Federal 209A change to a copper color recently. I have also seen some Remington UMC hulls that look like they were manufactured by RIO. As long as they adjust the powder charge to fit the primer, it's not a big deal. Having a burn through could be a problem and could cause me to use a different shell.

3. trap41

trap41 TS Member

Quack shot,

what is a burn through?

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cheddite primers use a red sealent over the flash hole. Ive noticed this with the Remington primers used in their factory loads also. You may be right about them using Cheddites.

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

At least the use of this primer seems to keep the price down. Cheddites are what I use anyway and very rarely, probably 1 in 100, do I get a burn through.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

trap41

"Burn through" is a commonly used term to describe a pierced or perforated primer. Usually some hot gases escape through the hole. These gases can etch a firing pin and will usually destroy a titanium pin or bolt/breach face insert.

7. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I have used maybe 30,000 Cheddites and am yet to experience my first "burn through", most go out the top barrel of an XT Combo and they all go "bang". Am I just lucky or is my firing pin the correct length?

8. joshif

joshif TS Member

If you get a burn through "pierced primer" you're pulling the trigger too hard!

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Not only are they using the Cheddite, but also Federal 209A as well. The war effort, and we ARE in a war, is taxing the industry.

I used the Cheddite for years. I now use Rio primers. They are a little oversized and fit the Diana/Kemen hulls I have an almost unlimited supply of. They also work well in the Remmy promo hulls I get by the barrel at my club.

10. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I'm surprised that remington would use another companies product.

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

I suspect that what you are seeing is not just a Cheddite primer but a Cheddite hull as well. The european model is for a loader to buy coponents and assemble them for his product. Very few manufactrers make their own hull, wad, primer etc as the big 3 have been doing here in the US. I know that Winchester uses Cheddite hulls and primers in some of their loads and the original Estate (prior to the Federal Purchase) used Cheddite hulls and primers so its entirely possible that Remington has done the same.

TB

12. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

No these are the black game load hulls, exactly the same as gun clubs only black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.