1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington under fire.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GROCERY GUY, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Everyone might want to watch this.CNBC is airing a program on the 700 rifle.
    It is supposed to air at 9:00 pm tonight (Wednesday). Dish tv channel 208.
    Glenn Allison ps eastern time

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty grim for Rem. I myself have never had or heard of this prob with a 700 but I have had several rifles do the same thing. Normally it happens when a trigger pull has been altered which I do to all mine. The real prob as I see it is why was the gun ( guns) pointed at a person when they touched the bolt???? I think it boils down to human error but big companies have big $$$ and some lawyer will try to get it. The bottom line is it is not good news for the gun world

3. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Not touched the bolt-switched off the safety. But yes basic gun handling would prevent some tradgedies.Perry

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

NBC nightly news had it on the 5:30 national news. I noticed no gun safety rules were mentioned. Like alway have the barrel pointed in a safe direction.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

That problem has existed for years. Remington recalled 788s and 700s over 20 years ago for the same problem. It is a trigger/sear ingagement and travel issue. The safety does two things on the Remington 1 it blocks trigger movement so the trigger and sear remain engaged and 2 it blocks the sear so it can not release the firing pin. On some guns if you pull the trigger with the safety on the trigger releases from the sear now the sear movement is only blocked by the safety. When that is switched off the sear releases the firing pin and kerpow. Not all have a problem but as cubancigar2000 said tinkering with travel and overtravel and sear engagement on any rifle has the potential to cause this. On the earlier recalls Remington published how to test to see if your rifle had this problem. Basically MAKE SURE THE RIFLE IS EMPTY, close the bolt, put the safety on, point in a safe direction, pull the trigger, take your finger off the trigger, switch the safety off. If you hear the firing pin snap forward the gun is defective. Repeat 10 times.

--- Chip King ---

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It doesn't look good for Remington..

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have watched 45 minutes of this and it appears Rem. has been covering this up for a long time. Also documented by variouse user grouups, police, military and sniper schools. They also had the man who designed the gun and who advised them to change the trigger - safety system at a cost of 5.5 cents per gun and they (Rem) refused and that was 40+ yrs ago.

Don

8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I sold a bunch of 700's when I had my shop in Georgia and never heard of this problem. I believe NBC reported tonight that this has been a problem for 30 years. It showed several 700's having the safety swithched off then firing. This could bury Remington.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I watched it too, Remington said only 1% might have a chance of an accidental firing. Let's see, 1% of 5 million is 50,000 rifles that could be deadly.
    Savage and their Accutrigger might have a big jump in sales. The gun expert at the end of the show said it would cost more to recall the 700 than Remington was worth, 300 million.

Wayne

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

they made something like 5 million model 700 action type rifles. If the actions were truely that dangerous, I think the body count would be pretty high by now or at least the gun sales would have dropped. words like "cover-up" and "over 40 years ago" can also be media hype. there is always a disgruntled employee who want to say "I told them to change it". I am not saying the gun is perfect - I am saying the problem is not tv big. Just being produced by gun haters. the one article I read was talking to a guy whose wife had killed their son while unloading her model 700 after a hunt. I appreciate the tragedy of that event and would never wish it on anyone. But even if the gun were defective, why did she point a loaded (or unloaded) gun at her son?

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I experienced this condition with a 700, in my hands, in 1988 at Ft. Bragg, NC. It got my attention, I'll tell you that.

MK

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Gary, her son was on the other side of the horse trailer. She didn't know he had got off the horse and wasn't behind her. Watching the sniper just touch the bolt and the gun went off makes me not want to buy one. They say it's not fixed,even today.

Mike Walker pleaded with Remington to change the safety and they refused. 5.5 cents to make a safe gun. Unbelievable.

Jerbear

13. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Reair times;

CNBC Special Report:
    Remington Under Fire
    Premieres:
    Wednesday, Oct. 20 at 9 p.m., 10 p.m., 12 a.m. and 1 a.m.
    Reairs:
    Sunday, Oct. 24 at 10 p.m.
    Thursday, Oct. 28 at 8 p.m.
    Sunday, Oct. 31 at 1 a.m.
    Tuesday, Nov. 2 at 1 a.m.
    All times Eastern.

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If anyone finds a link to watch this online, I'd be interested, I don't have cable.

15. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Unkown1 , do you know if the trigger had been tweaked when this happened to you. I know a lot of guys that tweak it down to hardly nothing. Glenn

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No, the action was stone stock. The rifle was new out of the box. I was asked to break in the bore and had fired 13 rounds through it when this occurred.

MK

17. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

Here's the link Skeet man

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1616222630&play=1

I have a Model 700 and have never experienced anything like this , guess I'm one of the lucky one's but likeit has been said in the posts above, " SAFETY FIRST" I learned as a little kid you never unload unless its pointed at the ground

Mark

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I was surprised to receive an email from the magazine production manager advising me of this program a few days ago. She knows I'm also a rifle guy and that I own a lot of Model 700s. I can see how this could happen with a rifle that has been subjected to amateur gunsmithing - I adjust my triggers and have created this problem but always made corrective adjustments until it cleared.

Just cock the action, engage the safety, pull on the trigger, disengage the safety and wiggle the bolt handle a little. If it hasn't fired yet, it isn't going to but I go a step farther - I bump the butt on the ground just to make sure I have sufficient sear engagement.

Given my 38 years handling mass-produced products and working with a manufacturer of them, I find this believable. On the other hand, given the number of Model 700s (and Model Sevens, which use the same trigger group and sear design), I find it hard to believe that it hasn't come to light decades ago.

Perhaps the advantage of Remington triggers being easily so adjusted will come back to bite Remington.

Ed

19. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I'm with Chipking. This is not a new discovery.

20. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I have 22 remington 700 and I just tried all of them and none would go off. Some are back as far as 1968 and the newest is only about 1 year old so I doi not know if they will give problems in the future or not but noe all are A-ok

Duckeye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.